Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is Spatone effective?

(8 Posts)
Lunchtimeburrito Tue 04-Jul-17 11:05:28

I've got low iron as a result of heavy periods.
I've also got IBS and the traditional ferrous fumerate makes my ibs so much worse.
I've tried most of the off shelf iron supplements and they upset my tum too but I find Spatone doesn't affect my ibs at all so I was taking that quite happily but my GP says it's not much better than water and I should take the prescribed medication. It's ok for him to say that but it's a double edged sword for me, yes it may raise my iron levels but I'll spend my days in discomfort and on the loo if I take them.
Has anyone had success raising their iron levels with Spatone?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 04-Jul-17 11:35:24

Have you had another blood test to see if your iron levels are improving with the Spatone? It is quite a low dose, and it would probably be quite expensive to take enough to get a similar dose to the prescription tablets.

Have you tried ferrous gluconate? It's supposed to be gentler than the ferrous fumarate.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Tue 04-Jul-17 11:37:54

I've been taking spatone for the last 3 months due to pregnancy anemia, and its upped my levels quite a bit!

mugc4ke Tue 04-Jul-17 12:31:33

did nothing for me. I took ferrous sulphate . max dose in the end though I did not have any side effects.

Pleasemrstweedie Tue 04-Jul-17 13:19:06

It may depend how low your iron levels are, but if they're low, Spatone is not likely to be much help to you.

If you can't take ferrous fumarate, you may need to look at buying your own iron supplements. Solgar Gentle Iron is often recommended and Cytoplan's Wholefood Iron worked for me.

Of course, if you can face eating liver once a week ...

Lunchtimeburrito Tue 04-Jul-17 13:33:55

Thanks all.
Gp has said that my levels are 9 with almost zero stores?!
I'll look into the alternatives and give them a whirl.
Am eating loads of red meat atm, watercress, spinach, blackstrap molasses, will try liver although really not sure if I can stomach it!

user1489434024 Thu 06-Jul-17 20:03:33

Spatone is 5mg iron. Women need 2mg. Take it with OJ to help body absorb it. It's brilliant. I'd never wake the tablets again and always opt for this. Get it on prescription too.

crazyspanner Fri 07-Jul-17 08:24:21

Make sure you take it with orange juice as helps absorption plus avoid caffeine for an hr before and after. It helped when I used it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now