Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you get this tooth pulled? Urgent advice needed

(22 Posts)
MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 10:35:58

I had three separate emergency dental appointments last week. I had an old root canal redone twice, which took away the worst of the pain.
A week later though it's still sore and the pain has woken me up every night. I work full time and have DS so I feel no choice but to take sleeping tablets or I wouldn't function.
The dilemma is, we're going on holiday abroad on Friday. I really don't want this tooth pain to spoil my holiday but it feels like a gamble having the tooth taken out, there may be a painful recovery or a fresh infection to deal with.
Obviously I have to ask my dentist what he thinks but to get there takes a chunk out of my day and I've lost so much time to this nightmare already.
I took antibiotics for a separate dental issue which hasnt improved the root canal tooth so a prescription won't help.
Aaargh! I wish I just knew what to do! Tooth is a pre molar.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 10:37:29

Should say I do have a partner, I wouldn't take sleeping tablets if I was alone with DS.

Dawnedlightly Tue 04-Jul-17 10:38:26

Where's the tooth?
flowers sounds grim.

Dawnedlightly Tue 04-Jul-17 10:42:20

Ok I've googled premolar- one back from the canine? So it's definitely show and you could have the pain of removal/infection risk dry socket etc.
I'd call the dentist and explain and ask for an antibiotic and painkiller prescription to be faxed to your pharmacy. I hope a dentist comes on soon to advise.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 10:50:32

I've got an appointment for tomorrow morning. Just finished course of antibiotics for a separate infection (dentist said I should buy a lottery ticket as I was due some good luck!) and the only painkillers they recommend are ibuprofen which I have. I also have prescription cocodamol in the house but they don't touch it. I'm not in pain just now, it's ok during the day.

StarryCorpulentCunt Tue 04-Jul-17 10:53:20

I would save it if at all possible and wouldn't have it removed right before going on holiday in case you get dry socket. The agony from that is unimaginable and it has to be packed if you get it which won't be possible on holiday I'd imagine.

differentnameforthis Tue 04-Jul-17 11:41:23

Root canal redone twice, still in pain?

I'd get rid of it, no doubt. (ex dental nurse)

Daisy2315 Tue 04-Jul-17 11:42:54

I wouldn't want the tooth to be removed that close to going on holiday personally

Wildthoughts Tue 04-Jul-17 11:45:32

Yes have it out. I recently had root canal and would never have it done again. I would rather lose the tooth (had two extractions recently too.) Pain gone immediately.

Rikalaily Tue 04-Jul-17 11:46:19

I got one taken out after 3 failed root canals, wish I'd just had it removed to start with. I'd be worried about having it taken out so close to the holiday though, I got dry socket after having mine pulled and needed to visit an out of hours dentist to get it treated.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 15:29:55

How common is dry socket? I'd never heard of it til recently. I'd be super careful re looking after the wound.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 15:30:21

How common is dry socket? I'd never heard of it til recently. I'd be super careful re looking after the wound.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 04-Jul-17 15:35:29

I've had root canal work and crowns done, never a fucking again nightmare. I've had two back molars out and it's been really easy such a relief. And dd has had premolars out because of her brace and she didn't have any problems

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Jul-17 16:16:34

Just googled. Dry socket affects 2 to 5 percent of extractions and is more prevalent in lower teeth (mines upper) and also more prevalent in molars, which mine isn't.

My dentist has to be forced pretty much at knife point to do extractions (preferring to 'save the tooth' aka root canal into infinity) but my partner has same dentist and just told him straight.

Right. Wish me luck!

Babbitywabbit Tue 04-Jul-17 18:17:05

Have it pulled. Been in a similar situation myself and quite frankly getting rid is the best way. I've even had dry socket once, and although it's not pleasant, I genuinely didn't find it as bad as some people say it is, and at least you know it will heal- it's completely different to the agony of toothache. Arm yourself with clove oil before going away (cloves are used to dress dry socket) and in the worst case scenario you can dress it yourself.
Seriously- when I've had really awful toothache from a tooth which I know is going to carry on being troublesome, I've opted for extraction. I can literally feel the relief as I get out of the dentists chair!

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Jul-17 10:25:34

Thanks babbity, I've just had it pulled! It's not a molar so I'm quietly hopeful the recovery will be OK. Dentist says it's no big deal. Obviously I will be super careful with wound management too.

Thanks for your advice re dry socket too, I'm off to boots anyway so will stock up and take shots of the stuff along with my sangria 🌞🌞

Daisy2315 Wed 05-Jul-17 11:18:51

hope it is all ok, have a good holiday

burntoutmum Wed 05-Jul-17 14:31:09

I had tooth pulled yesterday so I feel your pain! Fingers crossed neither of us get dry socket shock

Rinkydinkypink Wed 05-Jul-17 14:37:13

If your flying get the tooth out! Cabin pressure and tooth ache is murder. I speak from experience!

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Jul-17 15:02:42

Don't worry, it's out! Anaesthetic now worn off and no pain at all. The heaving, pushing and grunting was worth it smile

Also I pay for my dental treatment but in an NHS clinic, total cost of my extraction was twelve quid. It's a win!

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Jul-17 15:03:44

The stats are on our side burntout, but I've got clove oil in my suitcase just in case! Well done on surviving the pliers x

fannydaggerz Wed 05-Jul-17 15:49:13

I had dry socket after my wisdom tooth was pulled.

It was painful but it wasn't as bad as the pain the wisdom tooth was causing me.

I think if you've had root canal twice then you would benefit more from having the tooth pulled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now