Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help please? Burning ankles swelling urticaria.

(12 Posts)
peripateticparents Sun 02-Jul-17 06:51:13

Anyone got any suggestions as what this might be going on with my ankles? I can hardly walk, when I do my ankles feel like they are on fire, and I'm stuck in a hotel room alone.

Backstory: I have walked 120 km in the last four days. At the end of day 2, I had a very mild rash on my feet and ankles. I thought it was just friction from my socks. Different, v short socks on day 3. Could feel something irritated on the back of one ankle mid day three and I rolled my trousers up to continue walking as I thought it was just rubbing a bite or something. Later swapped into Birkenstocks to keep walking, just because shoes were wet. By end of day 3, I had urticaria over much of my feet and ankles. Not painful, except to touch. Looks noticeably better by morning of day 4. Could only wear Birkenstocks though, so as not to rub the sore parts. Walked pain-free all morning. Stopped for a quick lunch break, and very shortly afterwards my ankles started to feel like they were on fire. Away from any medical help so kept walking. Hobbled to a pharmacy in great pain. Ankles swollen, blistered skin, red patches. Took antihistamines and went to sleep. They still look like this this morning.

Doctors are closed today, and I hate to go to a and E unless it is urgent. I am meant to be walking onward today, but obviously cannot. Any recommendations as to what may help?

Not from sunburn. I do have a history of allergies but nothing for years, though I am in a country where I am eating things I rarely eat. I don't normally walk so far, so long, but did not push myself hard at all, except for last afternoon in pain. The small scab is where I knocked the blister with my other shoe yesterday, and is not the cause. It is both ankles.

QuirkyGoose Sun 02-Jul-17 06:58:17

You need to see a doctor asap, if the antihistamine didn't work and your ankles feel hot you need a doctor. Allergic reaction to a bite?

I had a similar reaction without the hotness on a walking holiday recently, it cleared up after a few days at home. I've no idea why but I'm allergic to random stuff and take antihistimes every day.

The hotness makes me think you need to somebody asap

TweenageAngst Sun 02-Jul-17 07:02:21

Go to A&E now. It looks like cellulitis which will need antibiotics.

RoganJosh Sun 02-Jul-17 07:05:16

Are they exactly the same as yersterday? Or any better or any worse?

peripateticparents Sun 02-Jul-17 07:33:05

V similar to yesterday. Off to google cellulitis!

peripateticparents Sun 02-Jul-17 07:37:56

Matching on both ankles so I don't think it's cellulitis but I think I'm going to wander off to the hospital and get it checked out. Sadly all docs closed today, and when I got here yesterday too.

RoganJosh Sun 02-Jul-17 08:05:05

Hm. I think getting it looked at is a good idea. Let us know what they said if you get a chance?

NanTheWiser Sun 02-Jul-17 09:28:32

Sounds like Golfer's rash, a form of vasculitis.

peripateticparents Sun 02-Jul-17 11:13:03

So.. I think it was an OOH service, either way they were v nice but entire conversation was translated by google. She thinks perhaps matching spider bites on my ankles, with some form of allergic reaction. I'm not 100% I agree with this, but I've been slathered and bandaged and actually they are feeling massively better than yesterday so I'm thinking I'll just take it easy and see if it goes away. I've been told to double the antihistamine dose.

Weirdly, when the nurses were chatting to me (which I understood none of), one of them pulled out her boob and was talking about something to do with it. It seemed to be follow on from when she saw my ankles, but I don't know how. Just one boob, very odd. They do things differently here grin

redannie118 Sun 02-Jul-17 14:43:30

Thats flipping hilarious!!!glad youre feeling betterand thank you for putting a smileon my chops !

peripateticparents Sun 02-Jul-17 16:17:42

I think I was in slight shock. I was half expecting a man with a camera to jump out any minute!

I have just reread the posts, and quirkygoose, that's exactly what the doc said ... full marks. I've been thinking, and there was definitely something on the back of my left ankle at the start of it because I rolled my trousers up so they weren't irritating it... maybe that was the first bite. I was too busy walking to bother stopping to look at the time.

peripateticparents Mon 03-Jul-17 20:25:21

I went to the pharmacy to get clean bandages today and wasn't let out without antibiotics.... and I'm starting to feel a little dodgy so now taking them too...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: