Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Medications/treatments for heartburn?

(9 Posts)
27Harper Sat 01-Jul-17 06:45:36

Recently I've been getting really bad heart burn and acid reflux along with vomiting which is becoming very regular. I take 150mg of ranitidine a day that I just get from the shop but they don't always control the heartburn. Has anyone tried any medications or treatments that work any better? Right now I'm eating tums like they're sweeties and chugging gaviscon. Any advice is appreciated xx

DramaAlpaca Sat 01-Jul-17 19:01:04

That sounds nasty & very uncomfortable.

I'm not a medical professional, but I really think you should go & see your GP & get that checked out.

Hope you feel better soon.

27Harper Sat 01-Jul-17 19:05:46

Thanks hun xx

Itsallgone Sat 01-Jul-17 23:03:35

It could be diet related. I had this when i became intolerant to gluten. See your GP for tests first and then try eliminating trigger foods? My GP was happy to put me on Proton pump inhibitors for life but I stopped meds when i found gluten was my trigger.

27Harper Sat 01-Jul-17 23:17:16

Thanks @Itsallgone, turns out the nausea and vomiting was a little baby in my tummy! Thank you for replying xx

Deathbycupcake Sat 01-Jul-17 23:34:07

I had this when I was pregnant literally from week 5 all the way up to 7 mins before delivery!!!!! Peppermint/Orange Rennies. They are totally safe while pregnant and they work instantly!!! I lived on them I honestly don't know what I would've done without them!! My heartburn was so bad I couldn't even take a bite of food without being in agony it got to the point I was having trouble breathing because of it!!!! Please try them I hope they work for you like they did for me 😘

27Harper Sat 01-Jul-17 23:42:51

Haha all the way til the end! Thank you I will give them a whirl, might as well I suppose, I'm getting sick of the sight of tums. Thanks hun xx💟

digerd Mon 03-Jul-17 18:20:55

I take Gaviscon Aniseed which always works for me within a few minutes.

wirrinboffin Mon 03-Jul-17 18:25:22

Nexium is fantastic - maybe not instant relief ala Gaviscon, but highly effective and works for weeks.

But I second going to see your GP - similar symptoms a decade ago was a hiatus hernia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now