Talk

Advanced search

Hysterectomy in your 30's

(8 Posts)
Rosemary203 Fri 30-Jun-17 21:52:15

Hi
Iv just had confirmation that I will be having a hysterectomy in three weeks. I am 31.
I have a long gyne history. Started my periods when I was ten. Always been very heavy. Was put in the pill when I was 15 I try and slow the bleeding but it never really helped. I have three children two of which were concieved on the pill.
I really just put up with the bleeding till just after my third child was born and I had my first smear. The smear resulted in grade three changes so I had the lletz treatment. Which got rid of the dodgy cells however my bleeding became almost permanent. Was referred to gyne in may 2015 and had investigative surgery as they thought I may have endometriosis- however everything came back clear so I was handed back to the GP. A year later I was missing work because when the bleeding was really bad I didn't be changing clothes every two hours!!
I was practically begging for a hysterectomy but due to my age they weren't keen. They wanted to try an endometrial ablation but I knew two people who had had it and it hadn't worked so it took a few visits for them to convince me.
I was put on the waiting list in Feb 2017 and had the op one week ago.
However ....
During the procedure the equipment used perforated my uterus and surgery had to be abandoned. They couldn't complete the ablation and had to put three holes in my belly to ensure there was no damage to other organs!! Ended up in icu for the night and three days later went home.
Before I left my consultant came for a chat and said we could try the ablation again but she thinks perhaps now is the time we go for a hysterectomy- we have exhausted all other avenues - 'medical and surgical. She said the waiting time was 18 weeks but I had a letter today giving me a date in three weeks so only four weeks after my last surgery. It's thrown me a little as I thought I had a few months to prepare.

After all that what I really want to know is does anybody have any experience of a hysterectomy in their early 30's?? I am keeping my overies but the consultant mentioned something about a patch?? I didn't think think of need hrt if I was keeping my overies??

OP’s posts: |
Rosemary203 Fri 30-Jun-17 21:53:07

Sorry the English in my post is awful - got a bit carried away x

justdontevenfuckingstart Fri 30-Jun-17 21:57:07

I had mine at 34, kept my ovaries. I was cin4 so was best for me. Now 42. Have mega flushes sometimes and think maybe menopause but nothing has happened yet and have had no treatment or side affects after the op. Have never regretted it for a second.

RandomMess Fri 30-Jun-17 22:06:00

I have had fairly successful ablation, in your position I would have the hysterectomy. Getting rid of the ridiculously heavy and long periods changed my life!

I would ring up and check they are happy for you to have it so soon from a recovery perspective though.

megletthesecond Fri 30-Jun-17 22:09:51

I had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) when I was 35. I'd had several years of cervical cell changes and LLETZ and after I had dc's my consultant said it would probably be best to just take everything out because he could no longer be confident of removing all the dodgy cells.

The operation itself was straightforward. In on the Tues and out on the Friday, I'd come from 2 c-sections though so a major op without a baby to look after was a pleasant change. I did nothing for a fortnight and my family had to look after the dc's while I directed everything, gradually got moving over the next month. The hospital were very strict on when I could resume normal activities so I made the most of pottering at home. I was back at work in 12 weeks and had no problems.

However, I swear my menopause started around 39. Without periods I've only been able to go off symptoms. I've not had hrt and the gp I saw three years ago was very dismissive. Recently I was referred to DEXA bone scan because another gp agreed I was a higher risk than most.

Tbh I suspect that a hysterectomy along your 30's is a lot easier than one in later middle age, or older. I didn't even need morphine in hospital I mostly dozed and read heat magazine.

megletthesecond Fri 30-Jun-17 22:10:32

Oh, bone scan was fine.

Rosemary203 Sat 01-Jul-17 16:36:33

Thank you all so much for your replies.
Glad the bone scan came back ok - that is oneness of the things I am worried about.
That and every time I google I keep finding things about prolapse- that petrifies me x

Mothermason Thu 09-May-19 09:00:04

Hi, has anyone had a hysterectomy and lost their ovaries too? I’m 30, and facing this. Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »