Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Odd looking mole

(7 Posts)
eekmumps Thu 29-Jun-17 11:14:50

Has anyone had a mole which fits all the categories for dodginess (ie asymmetry, uneven border, size and colour) but was actually fine?

I have noticed one on my back. Not sure how long it's been there for / if it's changed etc due to location but it has uneven borders and slight difference in colour I think. I will go straight to the docs as soon as I am able to (currently on hol) and am not expecting any sort of an Internet diagnosis just some reassurance while I'm unable to do anything about it that sinister looking moles can actually be perfectly fine confused

Mylittlesunshines Thu 29-Jun-17 11:16:12

Yes, I had one removed from my arm.

It was all normal.

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Thu 29-Jun-17 11:19:27

Yes I have moles that are asymmetric, two colours, a bit raised. They're normal. Lots of people have moles that are a bit weird looking. The important thing is to assess for change in a mole, or if a mole has suddenly appeared. You're getting it checked anyway which is the main thing.
Assuming you don't have melanoma in the family and you're not a sun worshipper, I'd say it's statistically unlikely it's anything to worry about. But you're getting it checked which is good.
Let us know how you get on!

StarryCorpulentCunt Thu 29-Jun-17 11:21:54

Yeah I have one on my thumb. When it first formed I thought it was a splinter because it was this tiny little line and then gradually got bigger and more round. It isn't perfectly circular at all and has really fuzzy borders and the centre line that it originally started as is still darker than the rest. It's never been properly checked out, a doctor has looked at it but not done a biopsy or anything but says it is fine and it has never changed since and has been there years now.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Thu 29-Jun-17 11:37:35

Yeah I have a couple on my back. They're not moles , they are seborrhoeic warts patient.info/health/seborrhoeic-warts-leaflet

clairethewitch70 Thu 29-Jun-17 11:42:32

Had one removed 2 weeks ago from shoulder. Was pigmented, growing and had uneven borders. Results yesterday - abnormal pigmentation but not cancerous, dysplasic. No further treatment.

eekmumps Thu 29-Jun-17 12:49:57

Thanks for the replies - very reassuring while I'm not able to get to a doctor. Hopefully the same will be the case for me. Am pregnant at the moment too so hoping I don't need anything removed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now