Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bleed after sex

(12 Posts)
phoenician Wed 28-Jun-17 17:17:56

I've been on the pill for 18 years on and off and never had any problems and for the first time this month I discovered very bright red blood after having sex. This has never happened to me before. Just wondering has this happened to anyone ? I had a smear last September which came back fine but of course when I look up the symptoms I only read the most sinister of reasons for this. Thanks in advance

EllenRipley Thu 29-Jun-17 13:43:04

I'm not a doc or gynae but I do know there's a whole host of non-sinister things that could cause this, from polyps to cervical erosion to infection - so please don't panic. However you really should get it checked out, just to be on the safe side. GPs/NHS generally have good protocols for this kind of thing so it's definitely worth a trip to your doc.

flibberdee Thu 29-Jun-17 14:27:51

I had this a few nyears ago. Went to see nurse and she informed me "we have a phrase- bleeding after sex is chlamydia until proven innocent".

She was right sad

Hopefully yours has another explanation but it's prob best to go see a professional rather than take my anecdotal advice grin

fedupandnogin Thu 29-Jun-17 18:27:05

I was just about to do a similar post. I have not had periods for a while (in my 50s) and recently had a dark brown discharge after sex. I have had bleeding a few years ago after sex and my GP said it was cervical erosion and I had it cauterised. Wondering if it is the same again and need to have it cauterised again or something else? It's not fresh red blood though this time and came a couple of days after.

ForeverHopeful21 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:24:14

Most common reason is sti or a gynae issue. Either way, make a trip to GP to investigate further.

usernotfound0000 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:41:43

Definitely get this checked out, I had this and it turned out to be a cervical ectropian which needed to be cauterised. All very straightforward and fairly painless. My GP said this is really common when you're on the pill.

Chocwocdoodah Sun 02-Jul-17 07:31:24

I second user. I've had this a couple of times over the years and it was cervical ectropian caused by the pill. Definitely get it checked but it's very likely to be something non-scary like this.

PollyPerky Sun 02-Jul-17 07:53:45

fedup You really need to get checked out. It could be another erosion but any bleeding post menopause needs an urgent 2-week referral unless your GP can see by looking that it's your cervix.

fedupandnogin Sun 02-Jul-17 08:36:43

Thanks everyone and especially @PollyPerky. I went to my GP on Fri morning and they have referred me so awaiting a hospital appointment for scans, etc. She didn't think it was the cervix this time.

fedupandnogin Sun 09-Jul-17 09:06:46

Still waiting for hospital letter (on two week referral). Had bleeding on and off over the last week or so (don't think it's sex related). Feels like I'm actually having a period now. Had to buy tampons again and I thought I'd done with them! Some days I start feeling really scared and then others I just convince myself I'm having a period (is this possible after not having one for a long time?). Just need some reassurance as I keep worrying. (and I need to stop Googling!)

Evizza Sun 09-Jul-17 10:45:36

I had this last year and was really worried as you are. Once referred, they did a hysteroscopy on me and found a small polyp. Totally harmless and easily removed. Let us know how you get on x

fedupandnogin Mon 10-Jul-17 11:49:25

So hospital just phoned. Got an appointment for an ultrasound scan and then appointment with consultant on Thursday. Feeling very nervous.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: