Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do they remove veins on the NHS?

(11 Posts)
Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 11:30:36

Have veins on my legs which often become swollen and itchy. There's a dark spot on one vein which feels tender from time to time. I feel like getting rid off them but I have heard they only do it in extreme cases like bleeding.

JudyBlumeForever Wed 28-Jun-17 11:36:24

They used to remove them for anyone but it was one of the things that they stopped doing several years ago to save money. So in my area there are really strict criteria for varicose vein removal (they pretty much need to have started having severe complications like ulceration...). But you can check to see if it's any easier in your area.

I'm not willing to wait for my legs to develop ulcers so have spent the last 2 years saving up and have just booked a private procedure (which they suggest doing in October as I'll need to wear compression stockings for 3 days straight after and it would be very uncomfortable in hot weather)

Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 11:40:10

I cannot believe they want us wait until ulceration. If I stand for too long they hurt and itch. How are you supposed to work if they're in the way?
It angers me that some do cosmetic surgeries on the NHS because it affects them not varicose veins.

Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 11:41:15

but Not the varicose veins. Meant to say.

Newjob12345 Wed 28-Jun-17 11:41:49

I know someone that had it done a few years ago. They weren't bleeding but gave her a lot of gip.

Go make an appt with your GP and see what they say.

Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 11:48:53

Thank you. I will make an appointment. I think it's also depends on the GP. We don't have good GPs in our surgery. There are always some excuses.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 28-Jun-17 11:53:19

I think it's one of those things where you have to keep seeing your GP so it's on your medical records as evidence you need it doing otherwise they don't bother.

SaS2014 Wed 28-Jun-17 13:39:49

They will do some VV surgery still on NHS yes. Just gotta convince gp that they are having a big enough impact on your life for him to refer you to hospital. Then convince a surgeon. Some are easier to convince than others.
Look at NHS website. Check their criteria list, it will let you know if you have a shot.
Good luck

Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 14:44:36

Thanks SaS. It's sounds like a lot of convincing is needed but hopefully my new doctor will be more attentive to my problem than the previous ones. Will check the NHS website as well.

missadasmith Wed 28-Jun-17 16:33:04

I have pretty bad veins. Saw GP who was very sympathetic but said our PCT stopped doing them at all. They cannot even refer anymore unless the case is very severe (ulceration, bleeding). I'd see the GP. Your might be lucky with the postcode lottery.

Onecutefox Wed 28-Jun-17 18:03:42

I don't know if my postcode is better. Once I couldn't feel the strings to my coil so my kind GP had referred me to the hospital to change for a new one. In the hospital I was attacked by the doctor like a committed a crime. He also went to another room to call my GP to question him why did he refer me for a new coil if loat strings isn't a problem. Eventually I told them to take it out but not to put new. I wished he would have a coil up his bottom with lost steings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now