Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian cyst worry

(12 Posts)
Pink1981 Mon 26-Jun-17 09:42:09

I hope to get some reassurance from anyone who has been through a similar experience.
I went to my GP several months ago for a smear. The smear was excruitiating and was told they would refer me to the coloscopy clinic to see if they can do it but was asked in the meantime if i would like a pelvic scan and vaginal scan which i agreed to- not worrying too much about this.
A week later i got my appointment through for the scans and so I went. The sonographer, whilst doing the scans didn't give me any information throughout the scans, although she kept clicking buttons and going over the same areas. I had a feeling she had seen something on the scan as i could just tell by her face. After both scans she told me that the results would be in today and for me to call by GP on Monday and go from there- This left me worried thinking she's seen cancer!!
I booked appointment in advance to see my GP and went in early the next week. My GP who is usually really chatty just said that they have the results of the scans and I have a 4cm cyst on my right ovary. He proceeded to show me how big that was and said its quite a size. I went sick. He said that he would like a gynecologist to have a look at the cyst and also said he would like me to get some bloods done to help rule out any nasty's and it will need to be checked if it is benign.
I didn't ask many questions as it was a bit of a blur so i went straight to the hospital for the tests worried to death.
Next day i received a text from my GP practice saying no action required.
I have received an appointment to see a gynecologist which was in 20 days from the date the GP referred me so it doesn't look like it was put through as urgent but I am going out of my mind with worry.
My GP did not reassure me at all about my cyst and I would have expected him to have seen from my scan report if he had any idea if it looked ok.
I've not slept since my appointment, felt sick and i'm concerned it could be cancer. I keep googling everything which i know is not helping but i can't stop myself.
Does anyone have any experience of this and also do you think if my doctor suspected cancer he would have referred me to an oncologist or at least told me it was going to be an urgent ref.

Thanks in advance from a worried worrier.

DubiousCredentials Mon 26-Jun-17 13:30:21

If cancer was suspected you'd have been referred much more quickly. Could you call your gp and ask for more details and some reassurance? Sometimes I think you actually need to say "does it look like cancer" so they know exactly what you're getting at. I had a similar experience and came away feeling very worried but a quick call to my gp (after a sleepless night) really put my mind at rest. I also had to have follow up blood tests and am waiting for another scan.

flowers

Augustbabyyeah Mon 26-Jun-17 13:40:16

You have to be your own advocate over this, don't be fobbed off. You need to know exactly what this cyst is. It's important to know that the CA-125 blood test isn't accurate for all ovarian cancers, so don't let them reassure you, if this test gives a normal result.

Having said all that, if anyone thought it was cancer they have to refer you as an urgent cancer referral. Unfortunately, you can't always tell what a cyst is until it is removed.

You don't say how old you are but post-menopausal cysts are generally seen as more suspicious.

Pink1981 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:46:49

Thank you both for your posts. I'm 35 so i'm guessing that the risks are higher with post-menopausal cysts.
I've just made an appointment to see my GP on Wednesday so I am going to ask some questions which will hopefully help.
Thanks again

ForeverHopeful21 Fri 30-Jun-17 07:11:48

Please try not to worry, cysts are very very common and very few are anything to worry about. Most cysts disappear on their own which is why time between appointments are often quite long (doctors would rather wait to see if your cyst shrinks or disappears than provide unnecessary treatment). Apparently a lot of women have cysts are don't ever know about it.

I had two cysts removed this week via key hole surgery. One was 10cm and the other was 2cm. I'm 32 years old. My cysts were found in March (this year) and I only had the blood test to check cancer cells done in May. It took over 2 weeks before I received the results back via letter to say that it was clear of cancer. I wasn't worried about this though because the gynaecologist told me that the stats for ovarian cysts being cancerous is very slim. If it was likely to be cancer you would have been referred urgently ...so take it as a good sign that you haven't been.

They suspect I've had my cysts for many years and I believe this to be true as I've suffered many symptoms over the years. They only become a problem once they become large as they are then more likely to twist the fallopian tubes, so please don't fret. x

MissBax Fri 30-Jun-17 07:26:42

Okay please try and relax. It sounds completely standard in the way it's been dealt with - sonographers are not interpreters of scans, they are not medically trained to interpret anything or allowed to give anything away.
Ovarian cysts are VERY common and 4cm really isn't big at all - I had a 7 inch cyst which was engulfing me whole ovary and fallopian tube.
The blood tests are completely normal and will be checking for a whole host of things such a white blood cells and CRP (signs of infection and inflammation), hormone checks (rule our polycystic ovary syndrome etc) and HGH's (which check for any growths in the body).
Obviously the issue is more with your GP and lack of information being passed on, and I sympathise with you for this, but when you say you "went sick", what exactly do you mean? Maybe the GP was about to explain but if you totally lost your shit with him/her they may have struggled to speak to you.

Phaslosttheplot Fri 30-Jun-17 07:55:58

Sorry you have been so worried by this. Two good things to hold on to till your appointment; Cancer is much more common in post-menopausal women and it sounds as though your Cyst does not have any malignant features as you have not been seen within 2 weeks, under the urgent 2 week wait suspected cancer pathway. Sonographers do write the reports in the UK, maybe she was inexperienced and didn't feel able to explain in a way that would not worry you. The vast majority of these are benign in your age group. Good luck!

PollyPerky Fri 30-Jun-17 08:09:46

It's not on that you were told 4cm is BIG. FFS! It's tiny!
I had 3cm cyst post meno which was monitored for 2 years even though they were 98% sure it was benign.
Ovarian cysts are very common and you will be fine. I am sure most women have them at some point but if they are not being scanned they simply don't know about them! (That was the case with me- scanned for something else.)

flumpybear Fri 30-Jun-17 08:11:18

Cysts are really common - I had one that was about 20 cm and didn't even know - it was probably there years getting bigger and bigger - mine was a cyst from cells that secrete mucous so it was filled with.l blood and mucous, I had a blood test too tonheck it wasn't cancerous but the consultant st the hospital said it looked non cancerous and wasn't worried but the sonography the isn't qualified to tell you that information I don't honk so I'm sure the consultant will just explain further when you see him or her

You've not been fast tracked I don't think as that's a long time - so take that as a positive
Good luck 😉

Augustbabyyeah Fri 30-Jun-17 11:24:02

I don't honk grin

flumpybear Fri 30-Jun-17 13:32:30

Lol August .... I knew I'd made that mistake when you highlighted .... stupid iPhone and I don't look at what I've written lol 😂
I feel a bit honky though confusedblush

Augustbabyyeah Fri 30-Jun-17 16:18:07

It was a good laugh though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now