Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS-D on your commute

(9 Posts)
sunnybears Fri 23-Jun-17 16:57:21

Sorry in advance if this has been covered already a million times.

I am moving house in a week and I am going from a 15 min commute every morning to a 40 minute one (in good traffic). I am getting more and more nervous about how to deal with it and my IBS-D.

I think I am going to have to fit a port-a-potty in my car or some rubber underwear :-P.

I have had all the tests imaginable including the camera and biopsy. At the moment my pattern is wake up in pain, go to the loo. get to work no problem, have breakfast when I arrive at work and lunch at work at the usual time. I take an Imodium about 3pm and that used to get me home no problem. Lately my stomach has been getting painful again about 4.30pm and I am either trapped at work or sweating in the car and dashing to the loo as soon as I get in. I know that the stress of my upcoming change in commute will be a trigger for my bowels as well, not knowing where the loo is etc. I have to cross a bridge so I can’t commute through a loo friendly route.

I have been racking my brain for anything I might not have tried yet. All I can think of is not eating after breakfast until I get home but this isn’t exactly healthy. I have gone diary free and that helps a little but my celiac and gluten tests were normal.

All suggestions welcome, including where to buy adult nappies, ha ha.

I am pretty much resigned to a life with IBS. I have tried all the usual elimination diets etc and I just have IBS with no pattern. If I eat a take-away I know i'll be in the loo as I would expect with IBS but during the week I eat healthily, avoiding food I know will annoy my stomach.

Thanks for reading.

S

nocoolnamesleft Sat 24-Jun-17 23:29:48

I presume you've tried decent dose probiotics already? Don't help everyone, but really help some.

Do you think the Imodium might be making the pain worse? I know it can help with control diarrhoea, but can get irresistible force hits immovable object pain with it. If you had lunch earlier and skipped the Imodium, do you think you could finish pooing before the commute home?

DandelionAndBedrock Sat 24-Jun-17 23:33:09

I was diagnosed with atypical IBS - stress induced and not linked it diet. I know you say you've had all the tests imaginable, but just on the off chance - have you tried mebeverine pills? An old GP prescribed them for me and my current GP seemed a bit surprised (but happily prescribed them again). Just wondering if they might be one of those things that some GPs prescribe more readily than others.

Sympathies though, that sounds tough.

mamma2016 Sat 24-Jun-17 23:38:42

I know IBS is different for everyone - I suffered for years and also tested negative for coeliac/gluten. I paid for an intolerance test which flagged up wheat. Cutting wheat out has an immediate effect and after 5 years wheat-free I've been able to reintroduce it and have been fine so far.

PhoenixJasmine Sat 24-Jun-17 23:41:27

You've tried all the usual anti-spasmodics, buscopan, mebeverine, spasmonal? Low-FODMAP elimination diet? Has the GP offered an SSRI and/or CBT?

Also a vote for high strength pro-biotics, have also found aloe Vera juice first thing every morning has helped a lot too.

I also tested negative for coeliac disease but gluten is definitely a significant trigger for my IBS. Improving mental health also helped a lot as well.

SueGeneris Sat 24-Jun-17 23:44:51

Have you tried cutting gluten out all together? Sorry, you probably have. I have non coeliac gluten sensitivity ie negative coeliac test but had IBS all my life until I cut it out on recommendation of my doctor.

SueGeneris Sat 24-Jun-17 23:45:23

Sorry cross posts there.

ParadiseCity Sat 24-Jun-17 23:49:21

My friend has similar IBS and it is blighting her life, I feel so sorry for you. Do you have to drive the commute - would there be a train instead?

sunnybears Mon 26-Jun-17 09:30:41

Hi all,

Sorry for the super slow response. I have not been online all weekend. I am moving house this week and have been up to my elbows in bubble wrap.

I would love to get the train and sit and read by a loo but it's £250 a month for me and then another £250 for my husband if we get the train (ripping off commuters). Sharing a car we will be about £150 a month in fuel, maximum. I know, I chose to move!

Mebeverine is what I have been using for years but unless I take 3 at once it doesn't work. I am relying on imodium these days, which my consultant said is fine to use regularly. Also my regular GP recommend fybogel, although it's a laxative apparently with my issues it actually works in reverse and bulks up the stool. I have to say so far it does seem to make it a bit more 'normal'.

I really hope I stumble across a food group that just magically eases my issue if I stop taking it. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I hope I have covered everyone's points above.

Thanks
S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now