Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any thyroid experts about?

(4 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Thu 22-Jun-17 20:56:40

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in April whilst I very ill in hospital with something else. TSH levels were in double figures if I remember correctly (I'd not been having any symptoms of having thyroid issues prior to this). I've been taking 50mcg of levothyroxine every day since then (so quite a low dose). Just had blood test at the GP and TSH now 0.71 so right at lower end of the reference range.

Just wondering if this sounds typical as I was quite surprised both by the diagnosis and the fact that my levels got back to normal so easily. Is it possible that my thyroid issues were just temporary? Is there anything I should I discuss with my GP? Anything else I should consider?

OhTheRoses Fri 23-Jun-17 14:23:23

I'm not an expert but I've had a sub total thyroidectomy due to severe graves and subsequently have taken 100mcg of thyroxine daily. About twn years ago I wasn't energised and an extra 0.25 pushed me over. Went back to 100mcg and sluggish again. Found the balance at an additional 0.25mcg twice a week. I feel at optimum levels if the levels are between 0.7 and 1.

I think you should carry on but have a test every three months. If you don't feel stage in three months you could always ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

My dicky thyroid has never caused me any problems since 7/8 of it was removed but then there isn't much of it left to play up.

I had a very good endocrinologist in the early days and I think his reassurance and excellent advice gave me the confidence to manage it well.

The British Thyroid Foundation are very helpful.

Good luck.

OhTheRoses Fri 23-Jun-17 14:24:39

Should have said, op was 1991, dosage adjusted ten years ago.

Pleasemrstweedie Sat 24-Jun-17 11:56:35

Thyroiditis can be transient, which is why many doctors are unwilling to treat first off. As 50mcgs isn't actually a therapeutic dose, it may be that your high TSH was caused by your other illness.

It may be worth discussing this with your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now