Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

contact lenses and dry, itchy eyes

(13 Posts)
bananaskin123 Thu 22-Jun-17 16:21:28

I've worn contacts for about 20 years I use Acuvue Oasys 2 weekly. Had Acuvue 2 for years but they stopped manufacturer. Have been fine with the Oasys up until the last week when my eyes feel quite sore and gritty. Just wondering whether its the very warm weather.
Anybody else got the same problem and any suggestions about what I can do/try that might help. I have varifocal glasses but have never really given myself a chance to get used to them properly as I much prefer the contact lenses.

Count2three Thu 22-Jun-17 18:48:14

Do you have allergies?

I had a eventually stop wearing contacts as my eyes became too dry and would no longer tolerate them, even the ones designed for dry eyes. First step I would try eye drops which are compatible with contacts.

I now wear ortho k contact lenses that i sleep in at night and take out in the morning.

bananaskin123 Thu 22-Jun-17 19:36:32

No, no allergies. I'm going to try the eye drops. Don't quite understand re your contacts. Maybe I'm missing something but why do you sleep in them and take them out in the morning. I put mine in first thing every morning then take them out at about 9.00 pm if I'm at home.

Deucebumps Thu 22-Jun-17 19:43:19

I've been wearing the oasis ones for years (and their previous incarnation). If your eyes feel sore, stop wearing them!!! A month ago my eyes were getting sore and it was bizarre as my eyes hurt more when I took the lenses out and stopped when I put them back in. Turns out I was developing a corneal ulcer! I've had to stop wearing lenses for the present and still have to go for further check ups at the eye clinic. You can't be too careful with eyesight so please give them a break from lenses and see an optician if things don't improve.

Benylin Thu 22-Jun-17 19:46:46

I think it is probably the warmer weather. I have been wearing contacts for about 18 years and whenever it's hot I struggle to to wear them comfortably. They just seem to dry out and make my eyes sore.
Maybe go to an opticians and get your eye health checked though. I wore my contacts far too much when I was younger as I gated my glasses but ended up with some nasty infections!

Watto1 Thu 22-Jun-17 19:46:47

Could it be hay fever rather than your lenses? I assumed my itchy eyes were down to my contact lenses for years until the penny dropped and I realised it was hayfeverblush. Antihistamines have been a revelation.

Benylin Thu 22-Jun-17 19:47:32

*hated my glasses

AudacityJones Thu 22-Jun-17 19:53:43

Your eyes dryness can be affected by many factors : weather, allergies, hormones. My lenses suddenly feeling dry has been a reliable indicator of pregnancy for me (twice and never dry otherwise). Go see an optician because dry eyes can cause all sorts of other irritation and discomfort!
What worked for me was to use a thick gel like eye preparation - don't remember what it was called but was a thick gel the doctor prescribed which worked like a charm!

Count2three Thu 22-Jun-17 22:44:23

Ortho k lenses temporarily re shape your cornea when you sleep. You take them out and you can see. They're an alternative to laser, which would be unsuitable for me on account of my dry eyes.

bakingcupcakes Thu 22-Jun-17 23:37:27

I find my contact lenses dry out more in summer. I can't wear them as long as I can in winter.

Are you using any eye drops? Hycosan is really good. It's quite pricey (£10ish a bottle) but works. If they don't settle soon I'd book in for a lens check.

scrabble1 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:25:12

I nearly had to stop wearing lenses until tried Specsavers silicone hydrogel daily disposable lenses. They are amazing

underneaththeash Sat 24-Jun-17 23:06:43

Eek missed this... hope you're okay OP. Its not normal for someone to very quickly get intolerant to their lenses.

If anyone is reading this please take your lenses out if you get any redness or discomfort and if it hasn't resolved within 12 hours (or comes back when you put in a fresh pair of lenses the following day) - please go and see your Optometrist.

There are a whole list of eye conditions that can affect the eyes - lens wearers are slightly more likely to develop problems that only really become serious if they aren't checked.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 24-Jun-17 23:10:36

I've worn contacts for 30 years and my eyes are itchy for the first time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now