Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eye test and referral to eye hospital

(43 Posts)
Mommasoph30 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:47:46

Hi had an eye test yesterday, need glasses. They also said my left eye nerve is different to my right so have referred me, Any had anything like this. Im so axnious, I hate the opticians and the thought of going to the hospital is freaking me out,. Any help or advice?

underneaththeash Tue 20-Jun-17 12:53:37

Did they take any photos of the back of the eye. If they did pm me with the photo and I'll give you an opinion on what it might be.

Otherwise, I'd just call and ask them what they suspect it may be. There are 100+ eye conditions that can affect the way the optic nerve looks. Is it just a routine referral? Some people's optic nerves can be tilted (which is normal) and that can make them appear different to the other eye.

But don't worry, if it is something, its been spotted and can be sorted out.

Mommasoph30 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:00:05

no i couldn't hack having photos done, so she just used the light which was stressful enough. then she said she is referring me to hospital :*(

So yeah sort of panicking and hate being messed with so im going to be a nightmare.

I think she said it was a different shape but ofcourse you think the worse. I booked eyetest as have been having headaches, which have subsided once i cut caffiene. Dr thought was Migraines . yesterday head was pounding but think i just stressed myself out, Wishing i had photos now,. She didnt spend long on left eye so guessing its obviously different.

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 13:01:23

Yes I had an issue with my eyes and was referred to eye casualty on the day. They where very thorough and I had a ct scan there and then. Followed by treatment.
Don't worry, you are in safe hands.
It's lovely that underneaththeash has offered to look at your pic.
flowers Hope it goes well.

Mommasoph30 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:02:38

I have been given prescription for glasses left eye -.75 and right -.25 also passed periphiel ? test

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 13:08:09

When are they sending you to hospital?

Mommasoph30 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:12:31

She said I would get a letter and would be about 2 weeks time,but waiting for letter. Maybe the letter willhave more info she asked if i wanted a copy of referral and I said no as was all flustered sad

Hulder Tue 20-Jun-17 13:17:43

Seriously do not panic. The optician has done a good thing for you.

Loads of people are referred to eye clinic for further tests after seeing their optician - a lot of these come to nothing but they get reassurance that their eyes are in good health.

My DH's glaucoma was picked up by his optician. He's thrilled about this as he had no symptoms at all so the optician did him a very good turn in potentially saving his sight.

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 13:18:06

You could ring the optician and ask them to explain. I'm sure people do all the time.
My time line was different and things progressed quickly without me having to wait, so I didn't have time to be anxious.
I think the positive thing here is if it was something sinister they would see you very quickly.
How do you feel about giving them a call?

Mommasoph30 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:22:14

Yeah i did feel better that they didn't need to see me within a couple days , I know i'm being irrational but I can't help it,

Ill keep you lovely people posted thanks for the advice,
my lovely friend said she will take me to the eye hospital as i won't be able to drive and also husband needs to do school run lol.

Fingers crossed its not something sinnister,
Glaucoma is in my family I have recently had bloods test done on my hormones, Thyroid and for Diabetes also they did a full blood count as i wanted to rule out anything when i was having headaches,

This might cure my headaches, its just putting my big girl pants on and dealing !

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 13:34:45

It's normal to be worried op. Totally normal
I hope it works out for you
Do keep the thread updated if you feel up to it. I see neuro ophthamology every 6 weeks are so now and they are a lovely bunch. And yes to curing the headaches if you find a cure let me know. Do you wake with a headache?

Mommasoph Tue 20-Jun-17 13:53:27

Yeah sometimes I wake with one or it just appears . 2 times a week it was but coming of pill and cutting caffiene really helped 😍 I will keep I posted ! Do you get headaches x

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 14:20:08

Yes. I get migraines. Had them bad for the past few days as high pressure sets them off.
I have a condition called IIH, which was picked up by my optician. I had the symptoms for a long time but my gp thought it was migraines. It's hard for GP's to pick up because they need to look into the back of the eyes to spot it. I had awful headaches on waking which normally got better once I got out of bed. I also had transient blindness but put it down to low blood pressure. The day before I saw my optician I had the most excruciating pain in my head, like nothing I've ever had before.
Anyway they spotted it and I was treated in the hospital the same day as the optician appointment. My discs are still swollen and they will probably remain so but my last lp showed that I now have normal pressure and the med have been reduced. So yeah!
It's not the end of the world op, I only really know about my condition but the treatments and care available are fantastic.

Mommasoph Tue 20-Jun-17 14:34:48

Oh that sounds positive ! I'll let you know what they pick up lovely !

I'm glad you have sorted it for the most part xx

PanickedMum Wed 21-Jun-17 09:03:37

I'm sorry to butt in on someone else's thread but I've picked up on it because I'm desperately looking for reassurance that these sorts of eye things picked up by opticians can have non sinister causes. My DD is on a fast track referral following a routine eye exam. She had a juvenile low grade brain tumour but was pronounced cured 19 years ago. I have a thread going if anyone who knows about these things can offer any insight/comfort.

Mommasoph Wed 21-Jun-17 09:10:14

Add the thread to this lovely . What's fast track referral ! Still waiting on my letter 😭 I'm feeling calmer now just hoping whatever it is can be sorted x

PanickedMum Wed 21-Jun-17 09:17:11

Fast track is the oncology route. Seen by neurology in a week, then urgent MRI. We are waiting for MRI now, it's a week today.

I'm glad you're feeling calmer flowers

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2959431-I-need-help-talking-down-sensible-talk-please

Maudlinmaud Wed 21-Jun-17 09:19:13

Panicked sorry to read that. Initially that's what I was tested for, I was told I either had a mass in my head or pressure. The pressure being the lesser of two evils. The CT showed pressure thank goodness.
I've been told it's opticians who usually spot these things first as they use the right equipment. That's why I urge people I know to keep up to date with their eye exams.
I wish you and your dd all the very best. I'm sure you are going out of your mind with worry flowers

PanickedMum Wed 21-Jun-17 09:35:45

And you're waiting to see the reason for the pressure and if you need any treatment Maudlin?

I am going out of my mind, I don't know any reasons for pressure other than a mass. I'm hoping and praying it's somehow related to her previous surgeries rather than a relapse. They told us cured, normal life expectancy, no need to even keep an eye on it.

Mommasoph30 Wed 21-Jun-17 09:43:58

woke up with headache Blurrrrrrrrrghh, but think its because im stressed.
I may ring opticians and ask for copy of note lol.

Maudlinmaud Wed 21-Jun-17 15:50:16

@PanickedMum no, this all happened almost 2 years ago now. I saw the optician and there and then he said, you need to be scanned today, not this week today. Those where his exact words. He rang my gp to discuss with him and came back into the room with a letter for the hospital. I left and travelled to our big hospital, and presented at eye casualty. There was a corridor of walking wounded waiting but I was taken in to the consultant straight away. They did various eye exams and sent me straight down to have a CT. They told me it was serious, I will never forget the look on dhs face as he asked them to repeat that.
CT confirmed pressure. I then went to a neuro ward and had a lumbar puncture.
I went home that evening and went to work a few days later. Because of the timescale and the urgency of the situation, I hadn't time to sit myself but I do remember wishing I hadn't got out of bed that morning and wanted to run away. I really feel for you. Have you long to wait for your dds appointment. Could your gp help put your mind at ease and explain things?

PanickedMum Wed 21-Jun-17 18:29:15

I see Maudlin, thank goodness it was the better news.

I won't talk to my GP probably, not unless I need some medication for my anxiety. DD has a different doctor, and experience has taught me that it's best to talk to experts in the field. When she was little we had a local paediatrician as the neurosurgeon was quite far away, and although he had an interest in oncology and was great with leukaemia, he gave me some completely incorrect information and it caused a great deal of unnecessary distress. It's hard to wait but no one can really know until the scan is done.

Mommasoph Thu 22-Jun-17 08:03:17

I can imagine the wait is not good ! Still haven't had my letter 😱 Hopefully will come today eye test was Monday !

Maudlinmaud Thu 22-Jun-17 08:12:04

Fingers crossed for you Soph.

Mommasoph Thu 22-Jun-17 08:29:18

Thanks I jut hate waiting lol ! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now