Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Exercise after prolapse repair

(9 Posts)
Xmasbaby11 Mon 19-Jun-17 21:51:37

I had a severe prolapse of the uterus and have had 2 operations in the last year to repair it with mesh. I'm just coming to the end of the 3 months recovery and thinking about exercising again. I'm obese and want to lose weight, but my consultant said I should not do high impact exercise like running. I also shouldn't do weightlifting.

Does anyone know what exercise would be good for burning calories that isn't vigorous? He said walking and swimming is fine but I don't think that'll help shift the weight.

Any ideas welcome! I hadn't realised I would be so restricted after the 3 months recovery but I'm only in my early forties so I guess the mesh has to last a long time.

TanteJeanne Mon 19-Jun-17 22:01:56

Swimming is a great fat burner- good all over, low impact exercise. Swim and weights. Build muscle to burn fat.
Eating less is the real key however.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 19-Jun-17 22:06:31

Don't do weights - it puts pressure on your pelvic floor which is not good.
Swimming, cycling and walking?
Other core-based exercise like yoga or Pilates are good (make sure you tell the instructor about your op, though).

Xmasbaby11 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:06:41

Yes, it's mostly my diet I need to change. A lot of bad habits and comfort eating. I've been overweight for years but worse since having 2dc.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:09:18

I thought about pirates or yoga. I'll look for a class and get on touch with the instructor.

I'm in a gym at the moment but think I may as well cancel the membership if I can't use the gym. It does have a pool but just a small one with limited opening hours. No exercise classes apart from aqua aerobics so I'd have to look elsewhere.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Mon 19-Jun-17 22:22:54

Cycling is fine so long as you don't stand on the pedals. I was warned against spin classes though.

I've had a repair and also do pilates, ballet and tap dance, plus a lot of walking and sometimes swimming. Pilates can do more harm than good if you don't modify it to take into account your prolapses, especially when starting out. I am very careful about the classes I go to for pilates, small groups (<12, preferably less) with specially trained instructors rather than the large sports centre style classes. My current class is run by a physio and I went to a Body Control class for years, I always tell the instructors about my prolapses. There is a good blog by an Aussie women's health physio called Michele Kenway which gives lots of good exercise advice, she also has a youtube channel.

sadie9 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:37:56

Both walking and swimming are most certainly good for achieving healthy weight. And walking is the easiest thing ever, all you need is a pair of trainers.
Just don't listen to the excuses your mind will come up with...like 'oh I need to be doing some fancy exercises' or 'I only have half an hour so no point going now, I'll go tomorrow instead' etc etc. Stop thinking about doing it and just do it. Some great podcasts on BBC radio4 website to download onto your phone, on all sorts of topics and the time flies. Start out 10 mins one direction, turn around and 10mins back. Gradually increase the distance, even do shorter ones if you have less time, but just keep doing it at least 5 days a week.
Soon you will look forward to that time out on the walk.
Some consistent walking and joining a weight management class and before you know it you'll be going in the right direction.

PollyPerky Mon 19-Jun-17 22:53:59

I recommend the website of OZ women's physio Michelle Kenway. She really knows her stuff and there are videos online of how to adapt Pilates etc. There is also a lot on her website about how to exercise safely. And no- no running, no weights, ever.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:59:31

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have a fitbit and was building up my walking before I had the op, so maybe I can do that in the evenings as well as daytimes. I walk quite a lot at work but it's clearly not enough as it hasn't made me fit or slim.

I do have a bike which is languishing in the shed. I live in a hilly city and I think I'd need to lose weight before being able to cycle around.

Tbh the exercise is as much being active as losing weight. Since the op 10 weeks ago I've spent almost every night watching TV snacking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now