Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Elevated blood sugar: worried or nonchalant?

(4 Posts)
tigerdriverII Mon 19-Jun-17 19:58:03

I had a very thorough health check today. Have recently had full bloods done which revealed nothing worrying about blood sugar. Today's, after about 9 hours' fasting, showed blood sugar of 6.7. I'm rather overweight, and don't exercise much, for context.

I think there will be follow up, but I'm not entirely sure how worried/not worried to be. Is this a bit high and possibly a blip, or something to worry about?

KitKat1985 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:14:36

A blood sugar of 6.7 is normal.

Musicaltheatremum Tue 20-Jun-17 17:19:45

A fasting glucose of 6.7 is in the impaired fasting range. (Just looked it up as I can NEVER remember) you should get an HBA1c done too and if that is 42-47 it suggests you are at risk of diabetes and would need lifestyle changes and repeat yearly.

tigerdriverII Tue 20-Jun-17 19:34:54

Thanks, it's all so confusing and I wasn't taking in the information very well. I couldn't really tell if she was saying that this needs monitoring or if it was more serious. I believe the results will be sent to my GP so will take it from there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: