Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scented 'feminine products' (horrible term!): a bit ranty...

(13 Posts)
Queenofthedamage Sun 18-Jun-17 09:52:13

1. Why? Do I really want to smell like an explosion in a chemical factory down there? Am I really so very stinky?
2. Do I really want more chemicals near my most sensitive parts? I blame all the cr*p they put in those things for recurrent bouts of thrush and nonspecific itching and discomfort.
3. Any ideas where I can get normal sodding nonscented towels? And isn't there a better word than towel? And am I just being stupid?!

dementedpixie Sun 18-Jun-17 13:03:13

1. No idea
2. No you don't.
3. Bodyform and most own makes are unscented.

Fanny pads? grin

Missingthesea Sun 18-Jun-17 13:10:19

Isn't there a better word than "towel"?

My mother used to refer to them as "Ess tees" in a hushed voice grin

I agree OP, the scented ones are horrible.

IrenetheQuaint Sun 18-Jun-17 13:11:01

You need a Mooncup.

LadyPenelope68 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:14:38

Totally agree with you, you can smell them before you even open the packets - disgusting! And no, we don't need Mooncups, before the Mooncup brigade start, some people prefer towels.

rizlett Sun 18-Jun-17 13:16:53

We used to call them 'bunnies' from when they had 2 ears in the old days but that's a bit mad too.

OnnaNoHito Sun 18-Jun-17 13:38:08

If you're not against washing them, then cloth pads don't contain bleached cotton or perfumes and also help reduce waste, which is good for the environment. They're really absorbent, too.

ThanksForAllTheFish Sun 18-Jun-17 14:21:11

One of the main reasons I gave up on towels as the perfume on the m irritated me. Tampons where slightly better but still caused issues. I did eventually switch to a mooncup an it's the best thing I've ever done to be honest.

I do understand they aren't for every one, the reusable cloth pads mentioned by onna would be a good alternative for people wanting to stick with pads but don't like the scented/ chemical smell from the regular disposable ones. You can buy them in different fabrics - I believe the minky fleece ones don't stain at all. Still not everyone will be keen on washable pads. There must be a company it there who does non scented towels but they will probably be pricey.

Tokelau Sun 18-Jun-17 14:25:43

I buy the bodyform ones, and find them really good. I like the ones in the orange packs. I also like tesco own brand night time pads, they are big but very good for nights.

I agree that towel is a bit of a misnomer, they are pads in our house (2 teenage daughters).

Greycat11 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:35:04

Lidils ones are unscented

NotCitrus Sun 18-Jun-17 14:45:58

I've moved to Basics ones from Boots or Sainsburys - cheap, no frills, no scent, do the job. Why pay 5x as much for silly patterns and horrible smell?

trinity0097 Sun 18-Jun-17 17:55:52

The always soft ones (or whatever they call them now - the pink packet ones) are unscented and I have no problems with them.

I use the liners the rest of the time, I buy the packets in advance and open them up in the spare room for a few months to lose the smell!

AuntieStella Sun 18-Jun-17 17:57:46

Most of the Bodyform range is unscented, ditto Kotex (try pound shops) and most of the supermarket own brands.

I hate the smell, and they made me itch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now