Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can I just go to the GP for an MOT and not look neurotic?

(12 Posts)
Tiredemma Fri 16-Jun-17 21:17:59

My mum died in February of multiple organ failure. Long story regarding her overall health and wellbeing with lots of contributing factors-

She had an alcohol problem
She had severe osteoarthritis (crumbled spine)
She had a blood disorder called haemochromatosis which is excess of iron in the blood- slowly buggers up your internal organs.

She was prescribed a daily injection to help fuse the crumbling spine- this caused her to completely lose what was already a very small appetite. The pain from her spine was so bad that she was literally eating 8 codeine a day.
She just deteriorated and died in hospital.
The Haemachromatosis is genetic.

My father has had two heart attacks, has a blood clot and has just gone into renal failure and will start dialysis last week.

Ive become borderline neurotic about my health and have booked an appt with my GP next week and want a 'full check' but dont want to come across as some crazy Munchausen type lady.

Ive become obsesses with my weight as I am about two stone overweight and just cant shift it, my torso looks like I am about 7 months pregnant so now I have convinced myself that I have ovarian cancer.

I know that I sound ridiculous but I feel that everyone is deteriorating around me so its highly probable that I have some physical health ailment too.

I am a mental health nurse and generally pragmatic and rational but I am feeling terrified that something could be wrong with me.

Tiredemma Sat 17-Jun-17 05:30:18

Anyone ?

Cat0115 Sat 17-Jun-17 06:22:32

I am awake...nothing useful to say except I am sorry you have had a very difficult time recently. Just go to your GP,perhaps with a list of ailments (because then the GP can 'investigate'). Ask about the inherited condition too. Good luck and try to be kind to yourself.

228agreenend Sat 17-Jun-17 06:39:27

Pefectly fine about having a health mot. However, I would go in knowing what you expect from it. General,reassurance? Blood test to check you don't gave condition, dexa scan for osteoporosis?

BeaveredBadgered Sat 17-Jun-17 06:45:06

Haemachromatosis is a recessive gene so unless your father carries the gene too you'll be fine. If you do have it, it's very easily managed by regular venesection. Usually children of a haem sufferer should have genetic screening to check.

beingsunny Sat 17-Jun-17 06:47:17

I'm not in the uk but it's normal here to go yearly for a full rack of blood tests, maybe figure out what you want checked and go armed?

InfiniteSheldon Sat 17-Jun-17 06:50:05

I think booking in to see a grief counsellor might be better flowers

Tinseleverywhere Sat 17-Jun-17 07:02:15

I think the GP will be understanding if you explain about your parents' health problems. Several of these conditions could be inherited so it is not crazy to be concerned and get these checked out.

Even though I think it's sensible to be a bit concerned and go for a checkup, the fact that you are really worried about this makes me wonder if you are feeling anxious following the sad loss of your mum and you are focusing on health. Maybe you need to take steps to deal with your anxiety. Things like improving your lifestyle, making time for some fun and your interests and reducing stress as much as possible. Some people like to practice mindfulness or yoga.

Tiredemma Sat 17-Jun-17 07:02:54

Infinite I think you are right. I feel empty. That's the only word I can use to describe myself. I'm normally bright and bubbly but I can't be bothered to even engage in conversation most days. It's an effort

wineandsunshine Sat 17-Jun-17 07:17:20

I agree with the other posters, go in with a list of concerns and talk them through but do also mention how you feel. Health anxiety could be occurring from your grief and any good GP will recognise that.

Good luck op flowers

olympicsrock Sat 17-Jun-17 07:21:01

I am a doctor. This sounds a good idea to me. Perhaps the practice nurse is a good place to start. They can check your blood pressure discuss weight. Sounds like a routine set of bloods including thyroid function might be helpful.

Tiredemma Sat 17-Jun-17 07:35:58

Thanks all for your responses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: