Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rectal Bleeding

(7 Posts)
Ellapaella Fri 16-Jun-17 18:15:09

I had an episode of rectal bleeding a week ago - went to the toilet in the morning for a number 2 and noticed a small amount of red blood in the toilet with the poop. There was no blood when I wiped - In my panic I asked DH to look and he confirmed it looked like blood. I work in health care and admit I have a tendency to panic about health issues and my mind has been running away with me ever since. I saw my GP who didn't seem remotely concerned, she didn't even examine me just prodded my tummy. She asked me to have some bloods but I can't get a slot to have them done for another two weeks. I've been to the toilet a few times since and no more obvious bleeding. I guess I would just be interested to know if anyone has had a similar thing as a one off and if they found out what caused it? I'm wondering whether I ought to be asking for any other tests (such as stool sample to be checked etc). I'm 38 with no other obvious symptoms.

dementedpixie Fri 16-Jun-17 18:17:37

Could be piles or a small tear. At least it was bright blood as that suggests the above rather than something more serious

Ellapaella Fri 16-Jun-17 18:21:45

Thanks - would I have any other symptoms with piles do you know? I always thought they were meant to be a bit painful.

ems137 Fri 16-Jun-17 19:01:30

Internal piles aren't often that painful, or aren't for me anyway. I occasionally have blood when I wipe too and that's the only symptom.

The only way to properly diagnose them would be for your doctor to do an internal exam but because they usually heal on their own in a few days and you're not in pain she probably thought it was unnecessary

MajorClanger123 Fri 16-Jun-17 20:22:09

I have a few internal piles that were spotted during a flexible sigmoidoscopy (done because of weak anal sphincter after child birth, oh the glamour). The doctor asked whether I'd had any symptoms - bleeding or pain, and ive had none whatsoever. Didn't even realise I had piles. He said some piles don't cause any symptoms at all, sometimes just pain, sometimes just bleeding with no pain. I'm 38 too. I feel like I've hit the "little things starting to go wrong" age wink.

Frazzled2207 Fri 16-Jun-17 20:52:27

I've had this, at the same age as you.
Went away and never came back (several
Months have passed), it's not OTT at all to ask the GP but I wouldn't be panicking unless it was happening a few times.

Ellapaella Fri 16-Jun-17 21:33:35

Thank you everyone, you have made me feel better. I'm not too worried but it was a bit of a shock, the last thing I expected to see in the toilet and it's made me feel a bit nervous every time I go now in case I see it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now