Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Awful awful period

(10 Posts)
notanurse2017 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:27:03

I'm on day 2 of my period and am in terrible pain. Worst ever for me. I am perimenopausal I assume, early 50s. Pain was here this morning, went but has come back with a vengeance. I honestly don't think I will be able to go to work tomorrow if it doesn't ease off. It's so bad I have been crying and that has never happened before.

It's quite heavy, I flooded through a super plus tampon twice earlier today. But now has slowed down but the pain is awful. Cramps, back hurts and nausea.

Any hints for what I can do to lessen the pain? I have had ibroprfen and paracetamol. Is this normal for women of my age or should I see my GP?

Thank you

Rumtopf Tue 13-Jun-17 23:34:24

No it's not normal, no woman should be in that amount of pain.
I suffer too so I understand. Go to your GP tomorrow and ask for some help. I was put on mefenamic acid for the pain and tranexamic acid to slow the bleeding and make it more manageable. They work.

There might be underlying reasons so I'd ask for blood tests too.

Rumtopf Tue 13-Jun-17 23:38:00

Realised I forgot to post about right right now.
Hot wheatbag or hot water bottle and if you've got some voltarol to rub onto your tummy it's fine to use that too.

notanurse2017 Wed 14-Jun-17 07:42:29

Thank you Rumtopf, the pain ceased suddenly around midnight, and I feel a lot better today.

I will make an appointment with my GP, I know it sounds silly but I feel like a bit of a moaning minnie but the pain was terrible. I hadn't thought about voltarol at all, that is really useful.

missedith01 Wed 14-Jun-17 07:52:25

Don't feel silly! I struggled with really heavy periods, flooding through all the time (thankfully not much pain though) and thought it was just how my periods were for years. One day found a lump and was referred to a gynaecologist, apparently I'd had a fibroid the size of a melon for years and not realised. There's got to be a reason for the pain, they might be able to find it. Good luck.

Groovee Wed 14-Jun-17 07:56:42

I've been like this most of my life and it was eventually speaking to a new GP who referred me to gynae which have tried something's but now getting an endo ablation in 4 weeks.

I would definitely see the GP if it's abnormal for you x

notanurse2017 Wed 14-Jun-17 08:40:00

thank you both for your posts, it's reassuring to know I am not making a fuss about nothing!

user1497426104 Wed 14-Jun-17 08:48:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 14-Jun-17 13:01:44


I would see your GP; this is not normal and not something either that you should just put up with.

You should ideally be referred to a gynaecologist for further evaluation; this type of issue is often outside a GPs remit. Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding and endometriosis can cause both pain and heavy bleeding.

I would consider keeping a pain and symptom diary as well if you do not already do this.

notanurse2017 Wed 14-Jun-17 13:05:01

Thanks Attila. Am currently trying to make a GP appointment.
(What on earth did user14 etc say that the message was deleted, am gobsmacked!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now