Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Family history of heart disease

(2 Posts)
moutonfou Mon 12-Jun-17 16:55:58

Three of my grandparents died in their fifties of heart disease/strokes. Father (also in fifties) is not overweight, never has been, but has high cholesterol and has been on statins since his 40s.

One caveat is that they all smoked (father no longer does).

I'm slim (9 stone), exercise, don't smoke, but still get worried if I'm doing the right things etc. Would I be unreasonable to go to the GP and just ask to get checked out - blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Or are these things a pharmacy can do?

Is there anything else I can be doing to mitigate my risk? I eat lots of fruit and veg but probably too many sweet snacks and comfort food and rarely eat oily fish.

StealthPolarBear Mon 12-Jun-17 16:58:47

How old are you? Once you reach 40 you'll be offered an nhs health check which focuses on cardiovascular risk factors. Until then I don't know that they'd do much other than take your BP.
You do not smoke - that is a g huge difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now