Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cluster headaches

(9 Posts)
JefferysJodpers Sun 04-Jun-17 17:41:06

Has anyone had these? 8 days in just been diagnosed, though I've had one or two over the years of a similar type I've never had a cluster.

I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole into insanity, like once or twice a day someone drives an ice pick into my skull. Migraines I've had don't even compare.

I have zomig nasal spray, painkillers have no effect, it shortens and reduces it but it's still wearing me out and I feel like I've been punched

delilahbucket Sun 04-Jun-17 19:45:37

I had my first episode of these about two months ago. Ten days of hell. Thought the headache and aura would never go. It even made my teeth hurt. Each time I started to think I was starting to feel better the headache would start again. Tried various meds but nothing worked. I was exhausted with it. Started with a migraine headache today but not had my usual preceding aura so I'm hoping it isn't going to be another long bout.

KeepCalm74 Sun 04-Jun-17 19:57:18

You need canned oxygen - GP can arrange. I suffer from severe migraine but know cluster headaches are a different world. flowers

hackneyzoo Sun 04-Jun-17 20:20:11

My husband gets these. Avoiding caffine, alocohol and drinking lots of water helps prevent them. His seem to be cyclical and only occur at this time of year. Sumatriptan helps a bit and I think he has a nasal spray version and oxygen which you can get prescribed by the doctor.
He used to get them yearly but hasn't had any for about 3 years.
Sorry you are having them, they are awful.

MrsGotobed Sun 04-Jun-17 20:24:16

Agree with oxygen - you can get written up for this by a neurologist (GP couldn't do it) and it's delivered to you at home.

Also Verapamil (usually prescribed for heart conditions) - taken in large doses can manage the headaches but it has to be built up and reduced very gradually and can make you feel like shit in other ways.

Bubblesblue Sun 04-Jun-17 20:28:38

I had these, caused by hormones for me. Changed which pill I was on and no problem since. Hope you find something that works because it's blooming awful flowers

JaneEyre70 Sun 04-Jun-17 20:29:57

There was an interesting programme on BBC1 recently, Doctor in the house that followed a lady suffering from these. It was quite interesting to see the treatments that he tried with her, from chiropractic to dietary. I wonder if it's still available on catch up?

LaceandChintz Sun 04-Jun-17 20:37:46

JaneEyre70 I saw that programme. I suffer from pretty severe migraines but my goodness they are nothing compared to what that woman went through. Definitely worth a watch on catch up if you can OP as it looked into various things like diet and different complementary therapies like osteopathy and chiropractic

JefferysJodpers Sun 04-Jun-17 21:49:38

Thanks, I've felt a bit more human this evening. Zomig stops the acute pain but leaves me with a horrible wiped out pressure feeling on one side. I'm going back to GP tomorrow. He was ace on Friday, went at 4, he reasearched it after closing time and called me at 7pm to pick up prescription and explain it all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now