Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Please help diagnose this (pic included)

(12 Posts)
Timmytoo Sat 03-Jun-17 17:26:16

My DP gets this weird rash like excema every now and then. A couple of years back it was right around his neck and was oozing a lot of wierd watery fluid. We went to A&E and he spent the night at the hospital but the doctors couldn't tell him what it was from. We had an aquarium and I thought maybe bacteria had infected his neck when we cleaned the tank out.

In picture - This is a very small patch on his neck and its in a healing state but it gets really large with a crust like feel on top. I'm positive it's excema of some kind but unsure of which one and if it definitely is.

SlB09 Sat 03-Jun-17 19:03:59

Only neck involved or other patches too?

Timmytoo Sat 03-Jun-17 19:27:22

Thanks so much for replying. It's only the neck area nowhere else at all.

foursthescore Sat 03-Jun-17 20:40:05

It looks like psoriasis to me.

Timmytoo Sat 03-Jun-17 21:36:56

Thank you. I'm reading up on psoriasis now. Strange that the doctors couldn't diagnose.

SlB09 Sat 03-Jun-17 22:51:18

I was thinking psoriasis which is why I asked if it was anywhere else, however this distribution doesn't suggest psoriasis to me. Does it respond to any treatment? Topical steroids like hydrocortisone or has anything worked so far?

Timmytoo Sat 03-Jun-17 23:10:48

Thanks SIB. When he had the severe "attack" which covered his entire neck and a watery substance was pouring out, the doctor gave him some medicated topical cream to use but no, it didn't really do a lot.

SlB09 Sun 04-Jun-17 11:49:37

If the skin gets fissured as its so inflamed it will leak fluid which in itself is nothing to worry about but it does mean there is essentially a port for infection to get in so keeping it clean is important.

It does look dermatitis like but I can already see a fissure in there, we call it 'lichenefied' when the skin has started to crack. It may be worth getting a swab or biopsy of the area to get the right diagnosis and treatment. Swab can be done by GP and check for bacteria, fungus etc. There are stronger steroids with antifungals or antibacterials in combination so its worth checking to get the right treatment. Hope that helps!

louloulottie Sun 04-Jun-17 11:55:38

I used to get something similar on a spot on my face, it kept re- appearing in the exact same spot ( near my cheek ) it was very sore to touch & it itched & hurt & tingled like a coldsore - I never found out what it actually was, but I would say that it was a cold sore as I only ever got it when I was run down, stressed & tired etc. It is possible to get cold sores that aren't actually on the lip area so I wouldn't rule that out.

louloulottie Sun 04-Jun-17 11:56:55

Mine flared up all weepy like that too, look out for the little blisters that appear just before it starts going all weepy.

Timmytoo Sun 04-Jun-17 18:46:20

Thanks very much for all your support. We will take a bit off to show the doctor. He does get cold sores every now and then in his lip as well so could definitely be that too. It does get a bit blistery before it weeps.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sun 04-Jun-17 18:56:13

Viral Eczema?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: