Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really bad exhaustion - what the hell is wrong?

(10 Posts)
Popalina Wed 31-May-17 20:07:33

I am a SAHM to two young children, one diagnosed with autism, the other will probably be too.

Lately, I have felt so tired and mentally flat all of the time that I am starting to turn into a horrible mother who can't cope with her children.

It takes about 3 strong coffees to make me compos mentis in the morning now, when previously I have always been a morning person. Just staying upright has become an effort and I have started going to bed at 8pm. I sleep well too, although we have only had sleep through nights in the last two months (5 years of sleep deprivation).

I had Epstein barr in my twenties so know how it feels to be so low physically and mentally and I feel like I am slipping back there but I know I don't have the virus anymore.

I was going to the gym 3 x a week but have just stopped that in case it's tipping the balance (but I think not). I eat really healthily and am on the slim side. I take vitamins, so what on earth could be wrong with me????

I snapped at my kids today and actually stood outside the front door and nearly wept. I just can't cope anymore.

I feel like a right whingey woo and pathetic quite frankly. I have so much to be grateful for but I just can't feel it. I don't know if it's all in my head or what. Tiredness is definitely worst post lunch. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks all smile

PaintingByNumbers Wed 31-May-17 20:09:40

get some blood tests for thyroid and anaemia. sounds like hypothyroidism maybe?

EggysMom Wed 31-May-17 20:13:06

As above - go to the GP, describe the symptoms, ask for blood tests. It sounds rather like a thyroid issue to me too (I have hypothyroidism) and appropriate medication can help.

redannie118 Wed 31-May-17 20:14:49

Hi did you know Epstien Barr is recognised as a major trigger for auto immune disease? It may be well worth your while to have blood tests. Its also possible youre depressed (you have a lot on your plate bless !) Do you have any practical support?

FoofFighter Wed 31-May-17 20:27:35

B12? VitD?

Fragglez Wed 31-May-17 20:31:21

I would second getting your B12 checked. And iron - do you deel breathless?

Whileweareonthesubject Wed 31-May-17 20:48:19

Definitely get thyroid checked. The exhaustion and depression are classic signs. DH has an underactive thyroid and we always know when his medication needs renewing as he feels more tired and depressed as the thyroxine needs upping. It must be dreadful - when affected he has zero energy or enthusiasm for anything.

Starstarbright599 Wed 31-May-17 20:59:46

Vitamin d test - you have to ask for it specifically

Iron test

Thyroid test

I sympathise!

PookieDo Wed 31-May-17 21:11:33

My ferritin is 5 and I feel a bit like this. Get your bloods done!

Popalina Thu 01-Jun-17 06:43:23

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I take B complex vitamins and D already but will call go today. Didn't realise Epstein Barr could be a trigger.

I don't have much help as dh works 51 weeks a year but my parents, although fragile, will step in for medical appointments so I am lucky in that respect.

Thanks all. I will report back!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now