Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Early Breast Cancer Detection Bra - innovative or doomed to fail?

(7 Posts)
tingalay Wed 31-May-17 17:27:41

I'm new here, so be kind with your responses, please... I was just reading about an 18 year old boy has invented a clever bra and it got me thinking... if you could buy a bra that could detect cancer, would you? The concept isn't new but this young man seems have found a way to actually detect EARLY, as opposed to other bras that might pick up on a 5mm + tumour. I think we can all agree that early detection - resulting in minimal treatment and maximum survival - is fantastic... but would you actually buy the bra? The check takes, I think, one hour a week (is once a week to often?) but would you trust it? Would it govern your life? Sorry for all the questions but I thought it was an interesting topic!

Bunnyfuller Wed 31-May-17 17:48:25

How does it work? When mammograms can't give a 100% surety? What's the tech?

tingalay Thu 01-Jun-17 11:22:16

"EVA is a network of biosensors that covers the woman’s breast, takes the temperature data, analyses them, and sends the information to an application or any computer.” "The young inventor says that when there is a malformation or tumour in the breast, there is a change in blood flow and temperature that can be easily detected by the device."
When this news broke in early May, I expected to see a lot of discussions on various forums. Is this something we'd put in our lingerie drawer to supplement the manual and visual checks we already do? It's early days and it will be interesting to see if this develops over the next five/ten years.

Aridane Thu 01-Jun-17 11:46:21

Well - unless it comes in a 32J, I won't be able to use it!

tingalay Thu 01-Jun-17 14:32:10

Aridane, I've finally found out where my share went!!! You've got 'em! But you raise an interesting question... it must be much harder to detect an early stage (little) lump when you are well-endowed - and goodness knows it's pretty tricky when you're an A or B cup - on that basis, if the bra is made in sizes, say, F to H, would you use one rather than wait for a routine mammogram? I keep reading about 'wearable technology' and am trying to get my head round the bits that will stick and the bits that will fall by the wayside so I can hold a reasonably interesting conversation when my DH actually takes me out smile

tingalay Thu 01-Jun-17 14:34:10

What a doofus - made in sizes A to K grin

Aridane Thu 01-Jun-17 18:01:02

Gosh - that is impressive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now