Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So scared, think I've got Cancer

(11 Posts)
Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 10:21:55

For the past 10 years I have experienced bleeding from my bottom. I have had 7 colonoscopies, the last one being exactly 1 year ago. I have a rectocele (bowel prolapse) and piles. The last colonoscopy the doctor banded my piles and gave the all clear on the rest of my bowel. About 5 weeks ago I started having terrible diarrhoea, bloated tummy, gurgling gut and dull ache on my lower left abdomen. Went to the doctor who ordered blood and stool tests. 5 days later, saw a different doctor (really nice) who said all the bloods and stools were good, Liver, kidneys etc in good shape. He thought it might be diverticular disease and prescribed antibiotics and something to stop the runny poo. He said he would refer me for another colonoscopy. After the course of the drugs the diarrhoea improved but I was still in pain. Received a letter from the hospital for a CT scan for pelvic/abdomen. The scan is tomorrow. I can't wait to go. But, and this is what I am really stressing about, for the past 3 days I have had excruciating back pain and I can feel a sausage shaped lump about 5 cm long deep in my left lower abdomen. I am not sure why I am posting as I am having the scan tomorrow and what ever will be will be, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows how quickly bowel cancer can arrive on the scene, as I had a clear colonoscopy only a year ago. Of course, the other thought is it could be my ovaries. I am 53. Help!

Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 10:42:39

Just to add, I had a trans vag scan at the same time last year and all was ok with the ovaries.

LovelyBath77 Wed 31-May-17 11:54:55

There can be lots of other things besides cancer causing bowel problems, although these can be serious too. i had an unusual benign tumour needing a bowel resection as it got caught up in a section of bowel. So a CT scan could be very useful to help them see what is going on. Try not to worry and hope they find out what it is, there can be things like twists in the bowel for example. Good luck.

LovelyBath77 Wed 31-May-17 11:55:32

I would have thought if had a clear one a year ago that would be s good sign, but not sure sorry.

Fortheloveofscience Wed 31-May-17 11:59:40

Are you relatively slim? A sausage shaped lump in your left lower abdomen is likely to be poo! Please try not to panic, it's incredibly unlikely that you've got either bowel or ovarian cancer if you've had scans in the last year.

Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 13:15:19

Hi Lovely, thanks for the reply - I am holding on to the fact that all was ok last year, could well be a twisted bowel as due to the rectocele I have to get into all sorts of strange positions and have to "assist" myself when going to the loo - tmi! Its just the constant runny poo, which today is really bad. However, I am feeling pretty positive as I have literally just started my period - the first one for 5 months and I am putting the back ache down to that. Keeping everything crossed.

Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 13:18:20

I am very slim, actually underweight to be honest - I have a terrible diet - hoping the lump is poo that's got trapped, especially given the fact that my bowel has a prolapse - thank you midwife who butchered the stitching after the birth of my son! Roll on tomorrow and hopefully a good scan. But if not, I think I have found a lovely place to share x

Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 13:28:06

Just received a phone call from the hospital and they have booked me for a colonoscopy on Friday - so by the end of the week I will have been well looked after by the NHS!

LovelyBath77 Wed 31-May-17 14:13:40

There is a thing called overflow diarrhoea which means you can be very constipated as well, wonder of that is what it is. If you have a colonoscopy the prep should clean you out though.

MollyHuaCha Wed 31-May-17 14:33:12

Good luck finewine biscuit

Finewineandcake Wed 31-May-17 15:12:37

thanks molly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now