Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OTC anti emetics

(5 Posts)
caremummy Tue 30-May-17 11:51:40

I'm on the combined oral contraceptive to manage v painful periods - started Wednesday. I've got severe nausea and some vomiting. Nurse said to carry on as should settle down and could try OTC anti emetics. The only thing the local chemist had was pepto-bismol which I am currently using but can't take for longer than today and tomorrow. Any suggestions would be really helpful Xx (ginger, mint and hot water bottles as yet unsuccessful) Thanks

PretendingToBeAMuggle Tue 30-May-17 11:56:57

I was prescribed promethazine in early pregnancy as an anti emetic. It's available OTC as phenergan or sominex but can make you drowsy.

caremummy Tue 30-May-17 12:04:25

Thanks x

MountainDweller Wed 31-May-17 05:10:05

Cyclizine is good - but I'm not sure if you can still get it otc. If not it's worth asking for a prescription.

If not domperidone, which I think you can get otc. They work in different ways so you can take them together if desperate!

Starstarbright599 Wed 31-May-17 07:51:42

Stop the contraceptive!

Go back and ask for another one which doesn't make you sick. Things are unlikely to settle down - bad advice from the nurse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now