Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed ASAP re restless legs before I chop them off!

(12 Posts)
SlB09 Mon 29-May-17 20:44:04

Pregnant and being torturously kept awake every night with restless arms and legs. I literally am getting to the point of frustration/desperation - any advice tips or tricks that have worked?

DarthMaiden Mon 29-May-17 21:13:23

I quite literally feel your pain.

I suffer from RLS but it got much, much worse during pregnancy.

Avoiding caffeine seems to help me a bit as does exercise - not necessarily hugely energetic but walking/cycling for example.

Warm baths and massaging my legs before bed seemed to have a mild positive effect.

I read somewhere ages ago that holding a radiator can help - the logic being it's earthed and it drains the electric impulses in your nerves and muscles causing the discomfort. I've done this and it did seem to help but tbh at 2am that could well just be a desperate placebo reaction.

However I've never found a way to eradicate it. When it gets really bad tbh I just get out of bed and walk around for a bit.

flowers

QueenMortificado Mon 29-May-17 21:14:52

I know it's really weird but there was a thread about this and loads of posters said a bar of soap under their feet at night helped....

DarthMaiden Mon 29-May-17 21:20:44

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2033386-If-restless-leg-syndrome-does-not-dissipate-after-this-baby-is-born

I've just searched and found this - am off to buy a bar of soap smile

Josephinelavelle Mon 29-May-17 21:26:34

Spray on magnesium oil worked for me. I used the Betteryou brand from Holland & barret or Amazon.

Gingernaut Mon 29-May-17 21:28:07

Have you been tested for mineral and vitamin deficiencies.

RLS is often attributed to magnesium or Vitamin D deficiency.

putdownyourphone Mon 29-May-17 21:29:51

Tonic water

SSYMONDS Mon 29-May-17 21:39:17

Eat a banana before bed. It's the magnesium or something.

BlessYourCottonSocks Mon 29-May-17 21:39:43

Folic acid. Seriously . I can't believe this is not being mentioned. I was tortured by this 25 years ago when pregnant and was told to take (I think) 2x 400mg of folic acid a day. It worked. I know it was twice what I was supposed to take in early pregnancy.

SlB09 Tue 30-May-17 10:03:53

Thanks all, going to speak to midwife re vit/mineral deficiencies im sure im due bloods at my next app. Off to buy soap, magnesium, folic acid........smile

Chewbecca Tue 30-May-17 17:27:57

There's a programme on this topic on tonight or tomorrow I think, I don't recall the channel but recall seeing a trailer for it. Might be worth a watch.

lindsey077 Tue 30-May-17 17:32:18

I had the most horrendous restless legs during pregnancy, I feli like literally climbing the walls. Iron tablets made me 100% better, I cannot believe it took me to my third pregnancy to realise but it made the rest of it such an enjoyable experience. The difference was like night and day.
I hope you find something that works for you, you have my sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now