Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Found a lump? Scared

(7 Posts)
sparkleandsunshine Mon 29-May-17 20:36:12

I've found a pea sized lump in my left breast, I was having a feel (my mum found a lump at 46 and when she had a mammogram there was 7 lumps across both breasts and it was all cancer and she had a double mastectomy) and I check regularly (maybe once a month).
It's not on the outside, I have to poke my finger in quite deep and then it is definitely a little ball. But when I squish deep into my breast tissue it is quite lumpy on both boobs, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.
It's not very big.
I think I'm probably just overthinking it because of what happened to my mum, I really don't want to waste my GPs time and look an idiot.

Can I ask what other people would do? Do you think breast tissue (when u push deep) is just bumpy? Think I'm just overreacting. Just can't talk to my mum because she would be really scared and my partner just said that he feels like it is the same on both boobs and if I'm worried call the GP tomorrow.

But I can't turn my brain off, just want to know what other people have done/ opinions.

TIA

MollyHuaCha Mon 29-May-17 20:54:34

Hi Sparkle, no GP will think you are wasting their time. Make an appointment and get a definite answer. Good luck smile

fabulous01 Mon 29-May-17 21:06:07

I would be shit scared ...but you know what you have to do... make that gp appointment. It is likely that it is all ok but if it isn't early diagnosis is a life saver. Good luck

DubiousCredentials Mon 29-May-17 21:28:07

Gp will examine you and refer on to breast clinic if he/she feels a lump. Will probably be a cyst if there is one. You have statistics on your side - 9/10 breast lumps are benign. Phone the gp first thing tomorrow. The worrying won't go away if you don't flowers

Tanfastic Mon 29-May-17 21:40:08

I've been shown a couple of times how to properly examine my breasts both by my gp and also a consultant at the breast clinic. What they both said was if you poke with the tips of your fingers you will feel all the normal glandular tissue and nodules that are deep inside the breast. I did the same as you and felt lumpy areas when I dug in with my fingers. I can still feel these lumpy areas but not if I check my breasts the correct way.

Both gp and consultant both checked my breasts using a rolling method with the flat of their fingers. Gp said any unusual lumps would be like almost like a hard pebble/stone in a gravel path. You'd know.

However, I'm not minimising what you've felt. You know your breasts. With your family history you need to put your mind at rest. See your gp asap.

MajorClanger123 Mon 29-May-17 21:53:56

Defo see your gp to put your mind at rest - and don't panic if you are referred to the breast clinic, given your family history I'm sure they'll be super cautious.

I second what Tanfastic says - deep breast tissue does has glandular / nodular lumpy areas. I found essentially what you've described finding back in Feb this year - a lump / lumpy area deep in my breast tissue (can't be felt unless I really dig my fingers into my left breast tissue near my nipple). I also had pain in that breast too. Went to clinic, examination, ultrasound, all totally fine. Registrar did exactly same examination as tanfastic describes - a rolling motion.

Defo go have it checked or you'll drive yourself mad with worry.

usernotfound0000 Tue 30-May-17 16:17:37

Definitely see your GP. I've just been this morning to see mine about some abnormal tissue in my breast. I said I was no doubt just paranoid due to some family history and she said seeing a GP was definitely the right thing to do. I've been referred to the breast clinic now and hopefully will only have a short wait to find out what it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now