Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I go to the GP about this?

(8 Posts)
MoominFlaps Mon 29-May-17 09:44:11

Full disclosure: I have health anxiety so I'm not always the best judge about what does and doesn't merit a trip to the GP.

Have had constant constipation for the last month. I drink enough water, I eat enough fibre. I've tried various laxatives etc - lactulose, dulcolax - and they do work but a couple of days later I'm constipated again.

I had blood tests a few months ago due to changes in bowel habits (think that was just the tail end of a bug I had though, as after that all was fine til now). They were all normal.

No abdominal pain, no blood, no unintended weight loss etc etc. Just constipation. It's driving me potty. GP?

I'm 29.

DubiousCredentials Mon 29-May-17 09:52:23

Well yes I think so. It's a health issue that you aren't able to resolve yourself. Not that I'm suggesting it's anything to worry about, many people experience constipation.

DancingLedge Mon 29-May-17 09:52:52

Yes, GP is appropriate.

And if you have health anxiety, generally stay away from Dr Google.

ClemDanfango Mon 29-May-17 09:54:58

I think after a month of no improvement it's perfectly reasonable to seek proper medical advice.

MoominFlaps Mon 29-May-17 10:02:54

Thanks all, I'll make an appointment.

ItsAYesFromMe Mon 29-May-17 10:09:29

I was like this too up until recently, relying on Dulcolax every few days.
So I started drinking an Actimel and 25ml Aloe Vera juice every day. I also bought some digestive enzyme capsules which promise to improve gut health. I'm not sure which one is making the most difference but for the meantime I'm carrying on with all 3!
I haven't had to take any Dulcolax for a couple of weeks now.
I know I'm worse when I eat any bread, wheat based cereals, etc too so I avoid those.

MoominFlaps Mon 29-May-17 10:35:58

I've just bought some probiotics so will see if they help. Dulcolax works but it gives me diarrhoea and stomach cramps so I prefer not to have to rely on it really.

Sharl2017 Mon 29-May-17 12:16:06

Go to your gp. It may be ibs or something similar. I take medication as I was struggling to go regularly and not I have 2 x fibre sachets a day plus other tablets to help my body digest the food.
Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now