Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painful lump on back of head

(8 Posts)
Areyoufree Sun 28-May-17 20:49:36

I recently had a flu-like virus, and when I was nearly recovered, I developed a sore spot at the back, left hand side of my head, which then became swollen and painful. It lasted a few days, and then went away. However, four or five days later it has come back. It is constantly painful - feels like constant pressure, and the whole area is swollen and sore. I was wondering if it could be a swollen lymph node. If it doesn't get better, I will see a doctor on Tuesday, but was just wondering if anyone else had had this?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 28-May-17 22:39:44

Whereabouts on the back of your head? There are lymph nodes at the top of your neck/bottom of head, so could be one of those. Mine often come up when I'm under the weather. I hope you feel better soon flowers

Areyoufree Mon 29-May-17 09:12:04

It does look like it could be the occipital one - but only on one side. But there's also a strange, small lump that feels almost like a large skin tag just below it. The whole corner of the base of my skull is achy and itchy. Obviously not expecting to be diagnosed via forum, just curious as to whether this sounds similar to an enlarged node, or whether it is a cyst (or something else).

Areyoufree Tue 30-May-17 10:15:57

Thought I would update, just because I always like it when threads have a conclusion! Apparently the bump thing is a bit of a worry, and they want to have a closer look at it. However, if it is cancer, then it is one of the very slow growing ones, so shouldn't be a big problem. Was not expecting that though - totally thought I would be sent on my way and told to come back if things hadn't improved in a few weeks!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 31-May-17 08:49:44

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. And thank you for updating - I also like threads with a conclusion smile

Have they said what type of cancer they are looking for? I hope it turns out to be benign.

Will you be having a biopsy?

I've got bowel cancer myself. You're welcome to come and join us over on the cancer support thread while you wait for results if you'd like to. We often have people waiting for tests to see if they have cancer or not.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 31-May-17 08:50:31

Sorry, should've included the link

Areyoufree Wed 31-May-17 15:29:14

They think it might be basal cell carcinoma, which is basically the least cancer-y type of cancer you can get - is very slow growing, and doesn't spread. And obviously it could still be nothing. I think I would feel like a bit of a fraud on a cancer support forum when there are people dealing with so much more serious diagnoses!

Am sorry to hear about the bowel cancer - that sounds horrendous. I hope things improve, and that your treatment isn't too grueling.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 31-May-17 18:47:07

Ah yes, if you are going to get cancer that's a better one confused but cancer is cancer so you're more than welcome to join us if you'd find it helpful.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be just a random lump and disappears soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now