Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any point in going to GP with this?

(12 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Sun 28-May-17 13:09:43

I have severe hypermobility syndrome and week ago I sprained my ankle. It's still swollen, bruised and painful. Several people have told me to go to the GP, but is there anything they can actually do about it? I already have painkillers on a semi-regular prescription because of the HMS, and I've got a bandage on it, so I'm not sure there's anything the GP could actually do? I still have to walk on it because I haven't got a car, so I don't think there's anything worse than a sprain wrong with it.

FuckingDingDong Sun 28-May-17 13:35:31

Are you sure it isn't broken? It might be worth getting a medical opinion on whether it should be x-rayed or not.

FuckingDingDong Sun 28-May-17 13:36:43

A broken ankle can sometimes still be walked on.

PhoenixJasmine Sun 28-May-17 13:45:49

I'd think it was worth an x-ray if still swollen after a week (assuming you've been RICE-ing it - rest, ice, compression, elevation). But GP wouldn't be able to do much there and then - is there a minor injuries unit near you?

EmeraldIsle100 Sun 28-May-17 13:57:25

I once thought I had sprained my ankle but it was actually a torn ligament. I would seek advice if I was you.

MrsJayy Sun 28-May-17 14:01:44

Yes go to your Gp they can send you for an xray if they think it is needed.

iloveeverykindofcat Sun 28-May-17 14:03:14

Thanks, I guess I will go tomorrow then! There is a minor injuries but its miles away. I have been doing RICE when I can, but as I say don't have a car so still have to walk places. Wouldn't a break be incredibly painful though? I think I have quite a high pain threshold because I've experienced acute pancreatitis but still, I was under the impression that if you broke a bone you'd definitely know about it.

EmeraldIsle100 Sun 28-May-17 20:35:48

I was told that a broken bone in the foot is not the most painful thing you can have.

Wolfiefan Sun 28-May-17 20:37:22

I walked for four weeks on a broken ankle! shock

FuckingDingDong Sun 28-May-17 23:24:48

Wouldn't a break be incredibly painful though?
Not necessarily. Sprains can be worse

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 29-May-17 07:53:49

OMG Wolfie! Were you in agony or was it not so bad? (PS I love your puppy grin)
Of course I forgot today is a bank holiday. I will get it looked at tomorrow if its still bad. Starting to think its improving though - swelling is going down after having it strapped most of yesterday and the bruise on the top of my foot is fading.

PacificDogwod Mon 29-May-17 07:58:06

Rest, ice, elevate and analgesia.

A simple sprain can take four to six weeks to settle down, a bad one much longer than that.
Swelling is a really poor predictor of broken bones - if there is loads of bruising or pain on pressure to the bony prominences of you ankle it is more likely to warrant an x-ray.

Minor Injury Unit/A+E will decide on the need for an x-ray using Ottawa rules - you can look them up.

Sounds like it is going the right way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now