Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Threadworms! Please other mums help!

(21 Posts)
2boys2521 Fri 26-May-17 12:38:12

Hi,I have recently in the last two weeks discovered that myself and my two year old are suffering with the dreaded threadworm! All of the family(4 of us) have taken the medicine and are due to take it again in another week. I have only seen one live one in my babies nappy but he was quite irritable for a few days and sore bum etc,he seems much happier now so hoping they are out of his system. On the other hand I am feeling horrendous,I am so anxious about it! I have been cleaning like a crazy person all week and can't stop poo watching (sorry!) My poo seems to be full of them although they don't seem to be moving and no itch. I had once before when I was 17 after a stay in hospital,took the meds and didn't think about it again. Unfortunately this time I have Google and have seen so many posts about people having them for years and NEVER getting rid of them 😢. I haven't been sleeping,or eating and lost a lot of weight in the last week alone just worrying about this fact. Was just wondering if any mums out there had def had them and totally got rid of them for good. I need some reassurance as I feel like I am going to go crazy,don't want this to ruin my life! Thank you

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 30-May-17 14:46:21

My DD has had them and the medicine cleared them up a treat and we always remember to take the second dose ( treat the whole family when DD gets them) she has had them a few times but my doctor said its the age she is kids get them easily/ pass them on easily but nothing to stress about. Complete clean of the house, give medicine and all should be fine.

2boys2521 Tue 30-May-17 15:32:59

Thank you for replying,unfortunately things have got worse and I am not really coping. Did you religiously clean everything for two whole weeks? When did you calm down with all the cleaning? Every time one of my children (almost 2 and 6) pick up a toy I just think Sh** I didn't clean that and will we get it back. Also so hard to keep it up when they are both home at half term! I suffer with anxiety and this has brought it back big time ,just want to know when I will feel normal again

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 30-May-17 18:35:06

Pretty much. Also I become religious with hand gel and general hand washing before eaten, normally get kids to do this but even more so iyswim. It is tough and can understand how it is triggering you anxiety but it will get better. Just got to break the cycle with the worms which the medicine is really good at doing.

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 30-May-17 18:35:58

Oh about three weeks it took me to calm down with the cleaning

tobee Tue 30-May-17 22:54:14

My kids were infested a few times. We found the cleaning made absolutely no difference. What worked was every taking a dose of ovex at the same time. Then 2 weeks later. Then again 2 weeks later.

If you think about it it's almost impossible to remove bedding without winnowing any eggs etc etc.

Also, we discovered that the worms take a few days to die after dosing.

I'm sure people will ignore me on this, but I seriously wouldn't worry too much about the cleaning and don't feel bad about it.

tobee Tue 30-May-17 22:54:57

*everyone taking

LittleGreenPear Tue 30-May-17 23:00:10

So you've taken the meds yes? Take the required dosages for all the family

This doesn't sound like just threadworms to me though. This has triggered your anxiety and now you've gone overboard. That's what you need to get a handle on

Stop googling. Ensure everyone sleeps in tight fitting pants and pj bottoms. No need to boil wash bedding - just the once and then keep pants on.

They'll be gone in a few days with the meds. Going forward, scrub with soap under nails after school/ playing once a day at bath time and just follow basic hygiene

Seriously , calm down! Everyone gets them at some point or their kids do.

GraceGrape Tue 30-May-17 23:00:40

We've had threadworms a few times here, although only DDs, not the grown ups. I didn't go overboard with cleaning - just a hot wash for bedding, nightclothes etc and careful hoovering round bedrooms. I also gave things like toothbrushes a clean. Most important is taking the Ovex properly with the second dose and thorough hand hygiene. Also wearing underwear in bed during infestations and bathing/showering as soon as you get up.

You can take a third dose of Ovex if needed. We haven't had as many cases as DDs have got older and more reliable about washing their hands, but I give them a dose of Ovex every 3-4 months to try to keep them worm-free, which seems to have worked.

LittleGreenPear Tue 30-May-17 23:01:08

And if you can't stop this then see your doctor. Not about threadworms but about dampening down your anxiety

DancingLedge Tue 30-May-17 23:03:39

I did close fitting pants, virtually no extra cleaning, short clean fingernails, rigourous hand washing before eating, 3 doses of Ovex
They will go.

TrickyKid Tue 30-May-17 23:09:44

We've had them a few times. No big deal, the mess will get rid of them. I would definitely go to the docs about your anxiety though.

2boys2521 Wed 31-May-17 07:09:48

Thank you everyone for replying to my post,it's good to hear people are in the same boat as me. We have taken the first lot of meds and due to take the next after the weekend. It feels like this has been the longest week of my life! I don't know what is the right or wrong thing to do with they cleaning and I keep thinking I have either done too much or too little,it is exhausting. My anxiety is at new heights now,I have woken up this morning feeling really panicky. I had anxiety all through my second pregnancy and then ended up having post natal depression. At the moment I feel like this will last forever because I feel like I am not in control,I just want to know when this will be over!!

2boys2521 Wed 31-May-17 07:29:36

Also Gracegrape,I have heard other people use the worming tablets every three months or so as a precaution. Do you just give one dose or do you do one and then another two weeks later?

GraceGrape Wed 31-May-17 07:45:08

I just give one tablet each time. I don't know if it really works, but we haven't had a case for a long time.

Silvercatowner Wed 31-May-17 07:56:11

My kids are grown up now but we had a few incidences of threadworms when they were children. I treated with tablets but didn't do any extra cleaning - I didn't consider it to be necessary. The tabs always got rid of them.

Noeuf Wed 31-May-17 08:16:09

Blimey you really need some help with your anxiety. I totally recognise this because when the dc had ringworm I massively freaked out, couldn't cope with the stress, catastrophised it, cleaned everything 😳

Threadworms are really not so bad, they just come and go - much more likely to be residual sore bum from scratching, another bout from nursery etc - maybe keep some of those wipes to hand for toys but I really really hope you manage this.

MoreTeaPenguin Wed 31-May-17 08:22:03

We had threadworms a few weeks ago. Take the ovex (everyone in the family), then take a second dose in two weeks. It takes a few days to kill them. I didn't go overboard with cleaning - the ovex did the trick! We also tried to wash hands before eating.

2boys2521 Wed 31-May-17 20:50:05

Thanks all ,I think the main problem is that I had them and it has triggered a memory of when I had them before. I can't seem to get past the fact that I might get it again,think I could handle it if it was just the kids. I know my anxiety is out of control about it,I don't want to be a crazy ocd mum over it and I don't want to be one of those people that either have it or think they have for years to come!!

DancingLedge Wed 31-May-17 22:16:46

It's horrid, I know.
And kind of has a sort of weird association between parasites and being dirty. Which is totally untrue.

Half the kids in this country have them.

Three doses (I think 3 at weekly intervals , to totally cover it). And it will be gone. Promise.

I was kind of nervous to say this, because everyone has been talking about cleaning, and boil washing. Truth is, I did none of that.
Pants, hand washing, Ovex, GONE.
I promise that works.

2boys2521 Thu 01-Jun-17 12:49:27

Thank you all,I do feel better when I read these msg's so it does help just doesn't take long before I am back to the panic and anxiety of it all over again. I just don't want to have to go through this again but I know most likely I will have to at some point,I don't think my mind can take it. I am trying to sort out my anxiety

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now