Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sorry, gross: how often should you poo?

(51 Posts)
user1494161156 Thu 25-May-17 20:58:43

Apologies in advance for WAY too much information.

I usually poo three times a day. I assumed this was normal. It seemed logical that three meals a day = three poos a day.

HOWEVER I have since heard that most people poo once a day or even once every two days?!

I have two questions:

1) If you're pooing once every two days, HOW DOES TWO DAYS WORTH OF FOOD FIT IN YOUR STOMACH??!

2) Do I have some kind of terrible digestive problem? I don't have any pain or incontinence or other symptoms, but I seem to be WAY out of average? I eat a vegetarian/mostly vegan diet, which I believe is quicker and easier to digest...is that the reason I poo so much? Am I just being a hypochondriac?

Can't wait to see your responses.

beeny Thu 25-May-17 21:01:14

Once every morning.

HallowedMimic Thu 25-May-17 21:03:01

Two days of food doesn't sit in your stomach.

The digestive system processes it.

MagentaRocks Thu 25-May-17 21:03:50

I go a couple of times a week usually.

EggysMom Thu 25-May-17 21:03:59

I don't fit two days worth of food in my stomach. I fit one day worth of food in my stomach, large intestine and smaller intestine.

MrsMotherHen Thu 25-May-17 21:04:46

I am like you user twice maybe three times a day blush

dementedpixie Thu 25-May-17 21:06:36

Once or maybe twice a day depending on what I've eaten (spicy food normally means multiple poos!)

LapinR0se Thu 25-May-17 21:07:11

Every morning after breakfast

Cel982 Thu 25-May-17 21:07:41

You have about 9 metres of intestine in there. There's no normal for frequency of bowel motions - the consistency is much more important. I wouldn't worry.

user1495388403 Thu 25-May-17 21:08:50

Twice a week probs.

Hassled Thu 25-May-17 21:10:57

I'm a twice or three times a day person. Always have been. We'll all have differing normals - you only need to fret if there are changes in bowel habits.

LucyLocketLostIt Thu 25-May-17 21:10:57

Once a day, as soon as I get up.

SheepyFun Thu 25-May-17 21:14:06

My digestive system isn't a very happy one, so anything between not for two days, and 10 times in a day (that's fun). I read once that anything between three times a day and once every three days is healthy (assuming poos of normal consistency) so you sound OK!

PickleSarnie Thu 25-May-17 21:15:25

Always in the morning without fail. Then usually again at night.

louisejxxx Thu 25-May-17 21:15:31

Every other day for me.

talkingtofrank Thu 25-May-17 21:16:29

Around once every day or every other day, i think it entirely depends on your diet.

Smeaton Thu 25-May-17 21:17:02

Another poo read after one was just dumped?

I ain't buying it, not a bit if it, it stinks like yesterdays shit.

AdalindSchade Thu 25-May-17 21:24:24

Depends what I'm eating. Too much carbohydrates and sugar = 1-3 times a day. Low carb = once every 1-2 days

AceholeRimmer Thu 25-May-17 21:26:23

I have always been once a day but my DP is at least 5 times. He has to go after every meal too. I keep telling him to get checked for IBS but maybe that's just his normal? It would annoy me having to go so much and be waiting for it after eating!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 25-May-17 21:26:38

Sometimes I can go longer than a week, other times twice a day. I have no stomach so often get compacted bowel issues, before I had it removed I would go every day at least once.

ChrisPrattsFace Thu 25-May-17 21:28:05

I have a damn stupid digestive system, digestive issues, and genuinely can go 5 or 6 days without, but can also do 5 or 6 a day.
It completely varies on diet, and if you've always been that way, then it is normal for you!

SleightOfHand Thu 25-May-17 21:46:16

Usually every day or every couple of days but when I go on holiday I can't seem to go, I've gone six days without going once, not good. It's like my system gets or disrupted and out of sorts. It's amazing how many meals your body can actually fit in itself.

inaclearingstandsaboxer Thu 25-May-17 21:50:47

I can go five to ten times a day

I have a transit time of seven hours ( mouth to toilet) - it's easy to test. Eat something like linseeds and as they are not digested they come out the other end..(also works when you have eaten beetroot too)

I get up in the night to poo sometimes

It's just the way I am. I have had tests etc.

Since I started on BP tablets I am more like five times... Which is nice....

Roomba Thu 25-May-17 21:54:53

I go once a day, in the morning.

My kids both go once a day, in the evening.

We somehow manage to fit three meals a day in all at once!

MaisyPops Thu 25-May-17 21:57:26

Once a day. Usually in the morning.

Sometimes I need to when I get in from work but it feels wrong to poo in the afternoon. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now