Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial ablation - can it cause uterine cancer?

(3 Posts)
Snugglepalace Thu 25-May-17 20:27:20

I'm due to have this done in two weeks and stupidly keep goggling articles about this procedure. I'm so so nervous about having it done but get such horrendous periods I need some relief.
I know this is a procedure which is regularly performed in the US but I've just come across lots of forums where women talk about having had this done and end up with uterine cancer several years later. Some are convinced it's due to the ablation other say that because the ablation causes a kind of scarring around the lining of the uterus, it prevents early detection of any symptoms.
I am not due to see the gynaecologist until the day of the procedure and he is really hard to get hold of (just spent the last two weeks trying to get hold of him as they had sent me the appointment as a GA when we agreed to a local!) and even then he's the type of man who will just shake his head and say it's all ok and look at me as though I'm crazy.
Dh is getting annoyed with me saying I'm over thinking it, but it's not his body.
Does anyone have any experience of this or even any ladies who have had it done some years ago and still all ok?

6demandingchildren Fri 26-May-17 09:26:19

I had it done 4 years ago and it's the best thing I have ever had done.

RockNRollNerd Sat 27-May-17 15:27:29

I had it done about 6 years ago and it was life changing - I don't remember higher risk for cancer being one of the risk factors and my consultant was very good and talked me through potential risks etc in a lot of detail.

I've never heard of this as a risk - there's an abstract of an article on pubmed which seems to indicate that those who did develop it after an ablation had higher indicative risk factors for that type of cancer in any case so it's not necessarily cause and effect from the ablation. The trouble is when people get cancer it's natural to look for an explanation as to why you got it so people may link it to a procedure in the uterus (ie the ablation) even if it isn't a link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now