Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone found kefir has improved their health?

(29 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Thu 25-May-17 11:27:12

Just that really! Thanks for any replies. smile

peaceout Fri 26-May-17 10:33:04

I make it and eat it because I like it but I couldn't say if it actually made any difference, I'm sure I have a better gut microbiome though 😇

misscph1973 Fri 26-May-17 10:43:18

I would say that it's one of those things that as part of a healthy and balanced diet will make a difference. I have been making a eating it for few years now, but I also make and drink kombucha. I have no idea if any of them makes me healthier on their own.

MollyHuaCha Fri 26-May-17 10:55:33

peaceout, a healthy gut microbiome sounds wonderful (my guts are in a shocking state...)

misscph1973 I've just googled kombucha - wow, I'm impressed you make this and are clearly successful at it too. I wd be scared of poisoning myself... is it drunk hot or cold?

peaceout Fri 26-May-17 11:00:36

If it's gut problems then I suggest sauerkraut, although making it is more involved, I found this site helpful when I started out
www.makesauerkraut.com

teta Fri 26-May-17 18:19:07

Kefir really helped sooth my gut in just a few days.I've had Ibs for a few years following food poisoning.With the Kefir I was able to eat lots of fibre,fruit and vegetables that I haven't been able to eat for years.Unfortunately I've to temporarily come off dairy and haven't been able to source a non dairy Kefir.Im currently making some home made coconut yoghurt as a substitute and eating sauerkraut and cider vinegar on salads.It is definitely helping but not as much as the Kefir which can be used to heal leaky gut syndrome.

Flowerpower321 Fri 26-May-17 18:21:40

Do you make coconut yogurt the same way as dairy ie mix a bit of bought yogurt into the milk and incubate overnight? Coconut yogurt is really expensive around here so I'd love to make some!

MollyHuaCha Fri 26-May-17 18:55:11

I'd like to try making coconut yoghurt too. I make soya yoghurt. Is the method for coconut yoghurt the same? Which coconut milk works well?

BlaWearie Fri 26-May-17 19:10:11

Kefir completely sorted out my sugar addiction after 3 weeks. It's life-changing (for me anyway!)

pottered Fri 26-May-17 19:14:50

I find it staves off and shortens colds in the winter

LedaP Fri 26-May-17 19:22:26

Can i ask where everyone buys their kefir from?

pottered Fri 26-May-17 20:28:57

www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/

I get mine from here - expensive though

Igneococcus Fri 26-May-17 20:37:07

Polish shops are great for Kefir and other fermented milk products and Lidl has 1 liter bottles of kefir when they do Eastern Europe week.
I have a glut of radishes and bok choi at the moment (polytunnel allotment) and made kimchi with the bok choi and fermented the radishes, they are awesome, fantastic in a salad, it's really easy.

justkeeponsmiling Fri 26-May-17 20:39:51

Flower I have made coconut yoghurt before, ot was very easy. You can use tinned coconut milk, or for extra creaminess use just the solid part of the coconut milk in the tin. It's a while ago now, if I remember rightly you need to warm up the coconut milk and mix it with a spoon full of yoghurt or the contents of a couple of capsules of probiotics, put everything in a jar and leave it in a warm place for a day or two. I put mine in the airing cupboard. After that it goes in the fridge and it will firm up even more. It's lovely!

misscph1973 Fri 26-May-17 20:40:08

If anyone wants kefir grains or a kombucha starter, I have loads, I can post them, just pm me. I can also help you getting started.

peaceout Sat 27-May-17 10:38:25

I bought kefir grains from amazon....about a fiver iirc

ihatethecold Sat 27-May-17 10:56:16

Can someone explain kefir, fermented food to me please.
I had norovirus a year ago and still feel I haven't recovered properly.

What can I ferment? Is it a simple process?

Will this give me prebiotics in my gut?

Thanks.

PurpleWithRed Sat 27-May-17 11:04:17

Sainsbury's are doing a kefir which we've started on as DH had a shocking gut infection a couple of years ago (what a romantic weekend away that was) and an ileal resection this year and has never really settled down.

sainsburys kefir

Do different brands/suppliers have more or less benefit?

CowParsleyNettle Sat 27-May-17 11:09:43

I love it!

It was also the only pro/pre biotic that increased the levels of good bacteria in poo upon testing so there's real science behind it. Sad as I bloody love the taste of Yakult!

ihatethecold Sat 27-May-17 11:18:38

The Sainsbury's link above.
Do you have one of those a day?

lifeintheslowlane1 Sat 27-May-17 11:23:14

Am I doing something wrong? I tried making kefir but found it tasted as if I was drinking a strong cheese (not very nice, even though I love cheese).

peaceout Sat 27-May-17 11:44:17

I wouldn't buy ready made kefir.... 10 x the price of homemade!
Also there are no grains in it....you can eat the grains, they have things in them that don't make it into the kefir
Anyone who wants the low down on kefir, just do some searching online and read up....loads of info out there😊

sighbynight Thu 22-Jun-17 10:05:50

I'm going to tag a question on here in the hopes that someone with more kefir know how than me comes along. I've had IBS all my adult life and I've be taking capsule probiotics for a while.

I've been drinking about a glass of kefir for the past 10 days or so and when it is my homemade stuff, I'm hugely bloated and gassy. I couldn't put trousers on this morning. Not so bad with shop bought. Would you expect that to begin with? Will it even out?

Also, I don't know if it is the hot weather we've been having, but my kefir is completely separated in 12 hours. Isn't that a bit quick? It's in the coolest part of the house I can think of.
Hoping someone can share some knowledge! Thanks!

rizlett Thu 22-Jun-17 10:12:19

Homemade Kefir really likes it best at 23 degrees so if it's hotter than that put it straight into a cool box once you have added cold milk to your grains and then try a small cooler block added to the box after 12 hours.

rizlett Thu 22-Jun-17 10:13:20

Lots of info here.

www.yemoos.com/pages/milk-kefir-faq

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now