Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe stomach pain/trapped wind - does anyone else get this?

(29 Posts)
FelixFelix Tue 23-May-17 22:17:46

I've had this problem for a fair few years now but it seems to be getting more frequent recently.

Every few days I will randomly get a very severe pain in my right side, then bloating and it turns out to be trapped wind. It's incredibly painful and I can't do anything except curl up in a ball and wait for it to pass once it happens.

My partner thinks I may be intolerant to something food-wise, but I can't seem to pin it down to one thing apart from I sometimes get it after eating certain types of bread.

Does anyone else have this issue and know what causes it? I feel stupid going to the GP about it as I feel like they won't be able to help me as it's not a constant issue. It's starting to effect me more recently though in day to day life. It happened this evening half way through my yoga class and i couldn't continue and it was very embarrassing sad

Asmoto Tue 23-May-17 22:24:24

You should definitely see your GP. The first thing that sprang to my mind was IBS (I have this) but it could be down to a food intolerance as your partner suggests, or something else altogether.

FelixFelix Tue 23-May-17 22:32:47

Thanks for the reply. I remember the first time it happened about 8 years ago and I had no idea what the god awful pain was! It just seems to be occurring more frequently recently and it's a nightmare, especially if I'm out and about at the time. Do you really think my GP would take me seriously about it?

Hellothereitsme Tue 23-May-17 22:33:57

Gallstones? Ask your GP to refer you for a scan.

Mermaidinthesea123 Tue 23-May-17 22:36:56

Yes, I get it if I overeat bread. Lasts for about three days and my belt goes up 3 notches.
Bread seems to make me really gassy which is awful as it's my favourite food :-( But quite honestly not worth it in the end.
Try cutting out things and gradually reintroducing to find out what it is and then avoid it.

Holidaygirlsummer Tue 23-May-17 22:37:02

Also cysts can cause shocking pain a scan would prob be best go see your doctor

FelixFelix Tue 23-May-17 22:43:35

Thanks everyone. I did think bread was the culprit but it's very random. The last time I remember it happening after bread was a few weeks ago after some tiger bread from Morrisons. I don't eat a lot of bread anyway but when I've had it since it's not triggered anything. Very frustrating!

2ducks2ducklings Tue 23-May-17 22:44:55

I have this. I had a bad flare up a couple of years ago while we were on holiday (camping) the pain was so bad that I collapsed on the way to the loo and the person who's caravan and belongings I had landed on called an ambulance for me. I had been following slimming world so had eaten very little fat, because I was on holiday, I had splurged a bit and my stomach literally couldn't cope trying to digest the fatty food I'd eaten.
I still get regular flare ups now. At the minute they're caused by the ridiculous amount of chewing gum I'm chewing to stave off morning sickness.
Pasta and bran flakes are also culprits to me!

PoohBearsHole Tue 23-May-17 22:50:44

I've had this with vomiting too at random points! I went to the gp, I've had a scan and awaiting results - also given a sample which I'm again waiting on results. In the meantime I've cut out gluten and haven't had an attack! I think a combo of things can trigger mine. However gluten seems to be the biggy for me and it is in lots of things I didn't realise! I'm eating lots more veg now and more protein like nuts and eggs. My "digestion" is definitely feeling better off. I will introduce it again but I think I need a break until I get results for gallstones and some funny stomach bacteria have been ruled out. Depending on your age, dr will def take idea of gallstones seriously.

FelixFelix Tue 23-May-17 22:56:40

Interesting about gluten. That could be something to look in to.

I am 26 by the way, if that helps!

Itmustbemyage Tue 23-May-17 22:57:57

I get this periodically since having my gall bladder removed after suffering excruciating pain from gall stones. No other pain is that bad, not even childbirth, but the trapped wind is painful makes me feel nauseous it's physically painful to eat anything and I can burp for literally hours. Doesn't seem to be related to what I eat. Peppermint tea helps me a little.

WillowWeeping Tue 23-May-17 22:58:02

Gallstones.

FelixFelix Tue 23-May-17 23:01:38

Do gallstones cause trapped wind then?

Hellothereitsme Wed 24-May-17 18:43:02

No but the pain can feel like the worst trapped wind ever. My pain is between the ribs but just lower down. On a scale of 10 at times it was 10/10.

stillawakeatthishour Wed 24-May-17 18:50:00

I get this quite often and always wondered if it was just wind. Is it like a sharp, painful pain

Hellothereitsme Wed 24-May-17 19:20:34

Sharp yes but goes on for hours unless I take pain relief. It makes you double over. You should get yourself scanned. It takes minutes to do.

Hulder Wed 24-May-17 19:24:38

First thing that crossed my mind was gallstones.

Mine felt exactly like the worst trapped wind ever.

If your pain is on the right side and it makes your shoulder ache at the same time, I think you have gallstones.

SisterhoodisPowerful Wed 24-May-17 19:31:36

It's worth seeing a GP. Start a food diary and keep track of everything you eat and drink as caffeine can cause problems too. I'd also include any bowel movements you have (and consistency therein) as it will help your GP select the best tests for you. It does sound like IBS, which can be triggered by lots of things including too much gluten one day (and not any subsequent days).

FelixFelix Wed 24-May-17 21:04:20

Thanks everyone for the replies. All really helpful! It's definitely trapped wind because once I've passed all the wind, the pain disappears completely. Something is causing it so I'll definitely look in to the likelihood of food intolerances.

Paperdove87 Wed 24-May-17 21:22:46

Yes, but not as often as you. Have never ever thought it might be associated with something I've been eating. blush
So thanks for this thread and the lightbulb moment!

BestIsWest Wed 24-May-17 21:26:17

Milk does this to me. I can tolerate small amounts in tea but if I overdo it or have it with cereal I can be in real pain.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Wed 24-May-17 21:31:25

It's worth going bread and pasta free for a couple of weeks see what happens.

darkhorse85 Wed 24-May-17 21:33:46

Yes I get this and since avoiding bread it has eased.

Drinking cider vinegar is also good for digestion.

Do you exercise? I get this far less now that I exercise a lot.

moutonfou Wed 24-May-17 21:37:43

Definitely see your GP. They can rule out other causes and diagnose IBS and advise on ways to pin down what causes it.

I get a catastrophic diarrhoea episode ( blush ) maybe only once every 3 months, but the GP still took me seriously and diagnosed IBS.

user1495388403 Wed 24-May-17 21:43:00

Agree it sounds like very mild IBS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now