Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Maxalt Melt 10mg Wafer how safe?

(11 Posts)
Snoopy10 Tue 23-May-17 18:59:20

I have hormone related migraines which last a week every month. I have been prescribed maxalt melt 10mg wafers and I'm nervous of any side effects, especially sickness. Has anyone had any experience of these? Do they work - any side effects? Also I have been taking neurophen and I'm wondering if they are compatible. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes time to reply.

Snoopy10 Tue 23-May-17 21:37:17

Bump

Fintress Tue 23-May-17 21:37:26

I take Maxalt Wafers for occasional migraine. They work very well. Best if you take at first sign of onset. If I have to take one I usually lie down for a bit, they can make you drowsy and I go out like a light. No sickness, just the drowsiness.

Aquamarine70 Wed 24-May-17 03:08:29

My daughter takes these but has 1/2 a tablet as she is only 13 but they work a treat. She usually goes to sleep after taking it but has no other side effects.

UsuallyJustLurk Wed 24-May-17 06:06:43

I take these for my migraine. They do knock me out initially, but make the migraine pass much more quickly than if I'd not taken them. My migraine can last 2 or 3 days, but only 24 hours if I take a Maxalt in time

Snoopy10 Wed 24-May-17 07:15:15

Oh thank you so much for all the replies. I am on antibiotics at the moment so will wait till I've finished those. Will take if I still have tomorrow. Head is agony and the migraines make me sick too so have the fear of sickness. On neurofen at the moment but they don't do much really. I hope you all don't suffer too much - migraines are evil (I have only had them since having my daughter, never even had a headache before then). I feel for anyone who suffers this. Thanks again 💕

TheHouseOfIllRepute Wed 24-May-17 07:22:43

I used to take them
They did work. I got a strange tight feeling around my face which was not pleasant but better than the migraine
Since I had a daith piercing I haven't needed to use them
The piercing would be my recommendation, it's changed my life

TheHouseOfIllRepute Wed 24-May-17 08:32:39

I used to use them
The only side effect was a strange tight feeling over my face. It wasn't pleasant but not as bad as the migraine
I haven't needed them since I had a daith piercing
That's what I would recommend, it's changed my life

TheHouseOfIllRepute Wed 24-May-17 08:33:08

Sorry I don't know what happened there

Aquamarine70 Wed 24-May-17 14:58:48

You need to take it immediately st the onset of a migraine for it to work. It wont work now if you already have the migraine.,

Snoopy10 Wed 24-May-17 22:49:13

Houseofillrepute thanks - will look into that. That double post often happens on here. Aquamarine- too late then - will try next month. Thanks again for all the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now