Talk

Advanced search

Large Dermoid Ovarian Cyst

(6 Posts)
ForeverHopeful21 Tue 23-May-17 10:58:27

Has anyone else had experience of this?
I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks in March, during scan they found a 9cm cyst. I had to wait 6 weeks before being scanned again and this time the cyst had grown to 10cm and they confirmed that it was a dermoid cyst. After a bit of google, I've read that these types of cysts don't shrink and need to be removed surgically. My personally feeling is that it's still growing as my stomach looked bigger than ever.
I'm yet to have any children and very worried that due to size my ovary might be damaged or need to be removed.

I'm yet to see a gynaecologist (although I have been referred through GP) and the wait for a gynae related NHS operation is currently 22 weeks where I live shock .
I'm in discomfort most days and it's affecting my work too. I find it hard to sleep at night and a lot of my clothes don't fit as I look 6 months pregnant ...which is a kick in the teeth after having a miscarriage.

Anyone had anything similar, had the operation or currently have a dermoid? Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
LeninaCrowne Tue 23-May-17 19:05:37

I had a similar experience - I had a 9cm dermoid cyst that was found during a scan when I had a miscarriage. I had had discomfort, pain and bloating from it before hand, that foxed my GP.

I had surgery - that ovary had to be removed as there was another smaller dermoid and a benign tumour, and a small cyst removed from the remaining ovary.

I got pregnant afterwards so don't worry about that.

I was told there was a 1% chance of a dermoid cyst being malignant.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 23-May-17 21:35:21

Thank you for your reply. How long did it take for you to have surgery once they had found the cyst? Mine was found 11 weeks ago and I've still not seen a gynaecologist yet so feel quite frustrated.
Being in constant discomfort and not being able to ttc is making time go very slowly.
I'm so happy to hear that you got pregnant after ovary removal as this has been my main worry. I do also have another cyst on my other ovary but they didn't seem very concerned about it - I think its a 1cm endometrioma.

OP’s posts: |
meala Tue 23-May-17 22:22:54

Hi
Sorry to hear you're going through this.

I had a 10cm cyst removed a few years ago. It was found when I was pregnant but was just monitored for a while. I had quite a bit of intermittent pain with it. My GP prescribed diclofenac to be taken when necessary which helped a lot as otc painkillers had little impact.

About18 months after it was found, I was put on waiting list for surgery. However, it twisted causing horrendous pain and I had emergency surgery to remove it. I also had one ovary removed but have been told that the other ovary takes over.

I hope that you get everything sorted out soon.

LeninaCrowne Tue 23-May-17 23:00:02

I had health insurance through work and the operation was about 4 months after the miscarriage - sorry that doesn't help.

Dprice Thu 11-Apr-19 18:38:42

Hi forever hopeful, know this is an old thread but I’ve been diagnosed with two dermoid- one on each ovary 6cm and 4cm. I’ve been TTC the last 2 months and thought I’d have a fertility MOT where they found the cysts. I’ve seen two consultants and both say to get them both removed before TTC. Am terrified it will ruin my cycles/ stop me ovulating. Does anyone have any pregnancy success stories after removal of both cysts (if the ovaries remain largely intact!) thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »