Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vagisil

(15 Posts)
Brussels1 Sun 21-May-17 20:55:09

I have suddenly got an extremely itchy vagina this morning in the opening of it, I went out and bought some vagisil it has soothed the itch but when I apply it, it burns badly for about 30 seconds but the itch has gone, is it meant to burn?

MineAreCrafty Sun 21-May-17 21:16:26

This happens to me also but not sure if it's supposed to. Could you have thrush? I think it's ok for symptoms but obviously doesn't treat the underlying cause...

Brussels1 Sun 21-May-17 21:53:00

It could be thrush I'm not sure to be honest I'm going to try and get into the doctors tomorrow, I just needed something for the itch because it was unbearable this morning

MineAreCrafty Sun 21-May-17 22:15:18

Oh god I know all about it!!

Maverick66 Sun 21-May-17 23:41:19

Do you mind if I ask your age?
I have this but am menopausal.
Been going on a few years.
An antihistamine works to relieve the itch and something like replens vaginal lubricant.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 21-May-17 23:43:57

Maverick have you tried topical oestrogen?

Maverick66 Sun 21-May-17 23:56:31

No NK
My GP didn't connect it to menopause and took 'high swabs' which kept coming back clear.
I then discovered for myself antihistamine helped plus over the counter lubricants.

I take it this is something the GP might prescribe for me if I ask?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 22-May-17 07:52:58

Yes, definitely give it a go, Vagifem and Ovestin are the most popular.
Need a doctors prescription, don't be fobbed off as they are really effective and can be used long term.

magimedi Mon 22-May-17 08:04:01

Vaginal Atrophy.

I've posted this before as I do feel very strongly, that more women need to be aware of this:

I am now post menoapuse & recently suffered from vaginal atrophy (VA). I had always thought I was a woman who knew about things & was aware of my body, but VA really took me by surprise .

It's not something that is common knowledge & I so wish it was - as it is a real curse of the late/post menopause for many women.

I've copied & pasted from another post I made about it as I do feel that women should be aware of it so they can recognize the symptoms.

Vaginal Atrophy (VA) is what happens post menopause & it is my mission to make more women aware of it.

Basically (& you can google for the finer details) the lack of eostrogen causes great dryness up your fanjo. It makes sex painful & also leads to itchiness that makes thrush seem mild. It is horrible & causes enormous discomfort. I had to rush to the loo just to scratch - the itchiness is almost unbearable. The itch is both inside your fanjo & all over your vulva

If you are menopausal or post menopause & get an itch and/or great dryness do look at the possibility that it could be VA & go to see your GP.

It is easily sorted out with topical eostrogen in the form of 'Vagifem', a small pessary that is inserted into the vagina with an applicator.

You need a 10mcg dose daily for 2 weeks & then a maintenance dose of 10mcg twice weekly.

There is a great deal of argument about giving women vagifem long term &, it seems to me, that many health professionals are not up to date with recent research.

I discussed this with my GP with this piece of research:

www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=83

You do need to keep up to date with mammograms & smears but otherwise no side effects.

I tell a lie about the side effects - it has hugely helped my pelvic floor (this is well documented). I can now cough without fear of leakage.

I was lucky & had a GP who instantly diagnosed VA - but, sadly, it is not something that is well known or discussed.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 22-May-17 12:04:16

I struggled to get the right treatment for VA for two years, most doctors are so ignorant about it and I have educated a couple of them myself...hopefully that will help other women at my surgery.

Brussels1 Mon 22-May-17 14:52:44

So this va is only then your menopausal or post menopausal? Because I'm 20 so I don't think it would be that, thanks for the insight tho I'd never heard of it before

Zubba Mon 22-May-17 15:04:48

Brussels, I get this and am mid thirties so I doubt I am menopausal either.

What do you use to wash the area with when showering?
I've been using vagisil wash for ten years now, ever since pregnancy and the massive increase in discharge that it brought, and if I run out and use anything else - even if only a tiny amount and strictly on the exterior, I get terrible dryness, itching and irritation (which I use Lanacane cream to combat if it happens)
So I'd recommend vagisil wash and definitely no soap as a starting point.

magimedi Mon 22-May-17 15:29:18

VA is deffo a post menopausal thing as it is the drop in eostrogen that causes it. But it is not the only cause of itch.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 22-May-17 16:39:05

You can get VA in the peri menopause stage, mine started at the age of 48 and my last period was just before I was 52.
That was why I struggled getting treatment started....told by more than one GP and even gynae that it didn't happen until well into post menopause treatment, absolute nonsense! My issues since starting treatment have gone, apart from the odd flare up from time to time, sort that out by upping my HRT for a few days.

Maverick66 Tue 23-May-17 23:17:28

Thank you NK and Magimed
Very informative.
Like you NK this has been going on since my mid forties I am now 50.
Periods are still regular so GP won't entertain idea of menopause shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now