Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have IBS and trying the Clever Guts Diet.

(16 Posts)
teta Sun 21-May-17 13:52:54

I've had IBS for years ever since a very bad food poisoning episode.I've also put on a lot of weight and don't seem to be able to shift it.I'm 53 and had been loosely following the Fodmap diet to control symptoms.
Decided to try this diet by Michael Mosley.I've drunk Kefir, eaten fermented Kimchi cabbage, put cider vinegar on salads and eaten lots of fruit and vegetables.I've been able to eat apples, apricots, dates, advocado and non lactose-free dairy for the first time in years without a upset tummy.But more importantly I feel a lot better.My tummy also seems marginally flatter and I have no diarrhoea any more.
I've posted this to encourage other IBS sufferers to try it.

GiraffeorOcelot Sun 21-May-17 13:57:11

Very interesting.

What were your triggers? For me a low fibre diet seems to be working most of the time but I find I am getting even more sensitive to any fibre at all now (since drastically reducing fibre) so looking at other options.

How long have you been doing it? Where did your get the info?

teta Sun 21-May-17 14:20:57

My triggers were any stone fruit, lactose containing dairy, garlic and onions, beetroot, asparagus and beans and gluten.The only thing I haven't eaten this week is foods containing gluten.In fact the one day I didn't have enough portions of vegetables I became mildly constipated, having had diarrhoea for so many years.
Started on Sunday with the diet serialised in the dreaded daily mail.I immediately cut out synthetic sweeteners and made a batch of the healthy chocolate mousse and baked apple slices.I've also tried to substitute pasta etc with spiralised courgette.

Kelnic79 Mon 29-May-17 14:47:27

Hi what kind of meals were u having? I'm going to start this tomorrow but as it's so new there doesn't seem much online info yet. I have the book and I'm reading it slowly to take it all in but just after some ideas. Do u know if the low fodmap recipes are ok to use??

MollyHuaCha Tue 30-May-17 09:18:15

I've been reading the book. I'm intolerant of dairy products, but have decided to try having a small amount of kefir each day to see how I go. I'm hoping the fact that it's small (4 teaspoons) and that it's full of good bacteria will mean I can have it without ill-effects. And hopefully actually have good effects!

Would be interested to hear others' views on the clever guts eating plan. smile

teta Tue 30-May-17 12:28:54

Molly I've been trying some of the recipes.Yesterday I made the Bone broth which was tasty but fatty made from a whole free range chicken plus vegetables,ginger,garlic,turmeric and coconut oil.Today I'm going to add vegetables to it and have it for dinner with maybe some rice and lemon in.I also made the apple slices with nuts and the Turkey burgers.They are so green I renamed them Kermit burgers!!.I've had advocado and salmon often plus Chia pots and Chocolate Mousse.
Kelnic there are soothing recipes for the first week of the diet in the back of the book.Bone broth is one of them.I also found Kefir very soothing even though I am lactose intolerant.Theres virtually no lactose left due to the fermentation process.Alternatively try Goats milk Kefir.

Kelnic79 Tue 30-May-17 13:03:47

I tride to make the chia pots but they didn't turn out too nice, is it more or less the low fodmap diet tweeked abit? Xx

teta Wed 31-May-17 08:21:45

The thing is Kelnic it's not low Fodmap at all.Virtually everything Michael Mosley suggests that's good for the stomach e.g. Fermented goods like Kefir,Sauerkraut,Kefir and cider vinegar ,garlic and onions, smelly cheese,Apple,Advocado and Asparagus are all very high in Fodmaps.
The Chia pots were admittedly abstemious.I added a bit of Stevia as they weren't sweet enough made with sugar free almond milk.

Kelnic79 Wed 31-May-17 10:53:33

OK great thank you, I made the kiwi & chia smoothie today for breakfast but added an extra kiwi as it was too bland, but it was nice . Hopefully I will get my head around it all soon x

teta Wed 31-May-17 12:24:10

I've just made the Asian chicken salad for an early lunch with the leftover chicken from the Bone broth.It was very tasty and my eldest dd loved it.Tonight I will try the Rainbow Ratatouille (sp) for dinner with some steak.
I've also bought some liquid collagen to make the tummy soothing smoothie for tomorrow's breakfast.

Ekphrasis Wed 31-May-17 16:18:06

Hi, I developed ibs from iron tablets. I sorted it out via no milk and gluten plus vague fodmaps and lots of probiotic tablets. It can flare at times. Im interested in the kefir - I've thought that about trying that for years! Where did you get it and how did you brew it? (Funnily enough a month with no milk saw my iron shoot right up. Very helpful gp suggested to try a month without iron tablets while I looked at diet to sort out my gut.)

teta Thu 01-Jun-17 21:40:32

Hi Ekfrasis, I bought mine from the local
Health food shop.I've been trying to make my own coconut yoghurt but haven't yet attempted Kefir.I'm having difficulty tracking down some non dairy Kefir so might try Goats milk Kefir as an alternative .I have just bought some Goats milk yoghurt to test any reaction first.
I've had Ibs for a few years following food poisoning in Canada after eating Oysters.But I think Hrt was also a contributing factor.

JessicaEccles Fri 02-Jun-17 13:29:33

I might try the kefir- as above, the low fibre diet has made a huge difference.

Screwinthetuna Mon 05-Jun-17 17:08:57

Following this, will give it a go!

MarriedinMaui Mon 05-Jun-17 17:21:37

Is kefir the same as Laban?

MollyHuaCha Sun 11-Jun-17 19:31:40

Kefir is working well for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now