Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red hot cheeks and forehead

(8 Posts)
Wormulonian Thu 18-May-17 20:43:25

At the weekend my DD (18 years old)forehead and cheeks became red and hot to the touch and ishe felt hot inside her face too and she had a mild headache. Her period had just ended so we thought perhaps it was hormones and a mild migraine. She was better on Sunday night and Monday. She went to Uni for an hour on Tuesday (late afternoon) and it was a bit sunny - she is very fair skinned but wore a cap and SPF50. When she was there she felt a bit "weird" (dizzy) and that evening her face became hot again (she doesn't seem to have a fever) and it still is (she has a headache tonight) the redness and heat is constant.

I want her to go to the GP tomorrow morning try to get an emergency appointment but she is reluctant. She has Uni exams on Saturday.

She looks under the weather and miserable and has the electric fan on, using a lukewarm flannel on her cheeks but is eating normally.

I have considered she may have - some infection/bug, developed an extreme sensitivity to something she is using (moisturiser?). Dr Google suggests Roseacea, Seb dermatitis, high blood pressure and pregnancy. Any one have other ideas or experience of this?

BurnTheBlackSuit Thu 18-May-17 20:46:11

Slapped Cheek?

Any "sunburn" on her arms and legs? This is what Slapped Cheek rash looks like.

Wormulonian Thu 18-May-17 21:02:06

Thanks BurnTheBlackSuit - Slapped Cheek is a good idea - none of mine ever had that when little, so she would have no immunity to it. Her cheeks aren't as red as the pictures on the google but it could be that. No body rashes as yet. No "sunburn" anywhere either.

Do you feel hot inside your face with it? That is what is bothering DD most.

BurnTheBlackSuit Thu 18-May-17 21:19:41

It's only because my son has just had it.

Apparently adults and children can differ in their redness- from very very red to you don't know you've got it because you're not red at all. My sons cheeks were hot to touch. His arms came up with the rash about 24 hours after his cheeks (not as red as his cheeks). I have no idea if that is normal or quick. I do know they say the rash can keep coming and going for a while, especially if stressed...

Wormulonian Thu 18-May-17 21:29:03

My DD's cheeks are very hot to the touch - no rashes elsewhere and been a few days now. The lacy rash on the arms/torso etc comes up 1-3 days after the red cheeks according to the article I read online just now.

I hope your son was not too ill with it.

MajorClanger123 Thu 18-May-17 21:37:14

I was going to say slapped cheek - apparently it's rife at the moment and all 3 of my kids (age 5, 8 and 10) have just had it. I associated it with nursery age kids but my GP says anyone can get it.

They each had bright red cheeks first thing, then rash spread to torso, arms and legs over varying periods of time - my son has been last to get it, bright red cheeks from Saturday morning then body rash appearing Monday / tues, now just about disappearing from his arms.

GP prescribed a non-drowsy anti histamine to take twice per day to help the rash. They've all been at school throughout as apparently only contagious before rash appears so by time we realised they had it, they were no longer contagious.

Wormulonian Thu 18-May-17 21:50:38

Major an anti histamine for the rash is a good idea. I do hope the mystery is solved and the torso. arm rash appears tomorrow.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Thu 18-May-17 21:57:47

If it is slapped cheek keep her well away from pregnant women. A friend lost her pregnancy at 25 weeks after catching it from a friend's child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now