Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy period should I see a doctor?

(17 Posts)
joannegrady90 Wed 17-May-17 23:05:11

Hi ladies I'm after some advice.

I am on cerazette for contraception.

Currently on my period. So far today I have passed about 15 blood clots, the largest around 5 inches in length.

I am also going through a pad every 2nd minutes.

I also suffered from b12 deficiency and anemia.

Would you recommend a doctor? I'm working tomorrow night and wondering if I should are the night off. I have gone through so many clothes and sheets.

Hanks for reading!

joannegrady90 Wed 17-May-17 23:06:01

Goong through a pad every 20 mins

Sorry for typos

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 17-May-17 23:08:18

Any change In your periods should be checked out.

What you describe sounds horrific and yes if see a Dr

Lucked Wed 17-May-17 23:10:18

If it really is a pad every 20 mins you need to phone 111 as it could be an emergency. More than a pad an hour is worryingly heavy.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 17-May-17 23:11:58

I would be calling 111.

Pumpkintopf Wed 17-May-17 23:30:01

Definitely call 111

Fozzleyplum Wed 17-May-17 23:31:40

Sounds like it could be an infection-definitely get seen as an emergency tonight.

MajesticWhine Wed 17-May-17 23:37:10

I was all ready to say No, but that sounds like heavy blood loss. So Yes, see a doctor.

MuffinMaiden Wed 17-May-17 23:52:06

That much bloodloss seems pretty serious to me, I'd see a Dr ASAP tbh

GardenGeek Wed 17-May-17 23:53:56

I hope your on your way to the hospital OP.

Is there someone with you?

twofalls Wed 17-May-17 23:55:44

Op please phone 111. Someone on here had something similar they they were sent straight to hospital with an infection.

Are you alone?

user1471495191 Wed 17-May-17 23:58:53

Yes. Get to hospital. Is someone with you? As someone said anything more than a pad an hour is a cause for concern. Call an ambulance if you need to, heavy blood loss should not be taken lightly. Keep hold of the used pads / clots if you can. The hospital can weigh them.

twofalls Thu 18-May-17 21:07:26

Op are you ok?

joannegrady90 Fri 19-May-17 00:22:29

Thank you for all your replies. I was sent to the hospital this morning.

Didn't get much sympathy from the male doctor was told it was normal and to keep an eye on the bleeding currently using 1 pad every 3 hours so big improvement.

Thank you all flowers

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Fri 19-May-17 00:27:20

It's not normal! I came on the thread to say that a pad every hour is excessive and that you should seek medical advice, but one every 20 minutes is extreme. If it increases again, go back.

Firefries Fri 19-May-17 00:28:33

And by the way that much bleeding is called "bleeding" not a heavy period. Ive learnt the difference after many years of this. Make sure you see your doctor and get some help with this even tho it's slowed down. Us women have to stop being okay with these so called extremely heavy periods. And we need to know it's not a heavy period. There is actually an imbalance going on (or a problem) and we can get help for this, so please be seen and get help.
Sorry I'm passionate about this after many years of suffering and accepting doctors views that heavy bleeding and clots were ok/normal. They are not.

GardenGeek Fri 19-May-17 00:36:12

Ahh yess a man said it was normal bleeding.

Excuse me but wtf does he know?! I would be demanding a woman tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now