Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraines! Help!

(14 Posts)
randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 17-May-17 10:45:50

I have had a full blown migraine with aura attack every day now since last Sunday (so on day 11).

I do get them now and again and often in clumps. I did get a bad spate of them about 10 years ago. Ime I can tie myself up in knots trying to find triggers/what works etc but eventually they just seem to go of their own accord.

I finally took a day off work today as I was supposed to be on a training day. I went to the gp and she prescribed me triptans which historically have never worked for me, but I guess I haven't been to this gp before so they have to go through the steps.

Anyone experienced similar and got any magic cures to break this cycle?

angstybaby Wed 17-May-17 10:51:08

I wish I had a magic cure! First of all, are you pregnant? This really increased my migraines but they decreased after the 1st tipster

Second, are you on the pill? If so, check the side effects because an increase in migraines means you might have to stop taking it.

I've never found a medication that worked, I'm afraid but I have cut out caffeine (drink decaf tea and coffee) and chocolate which did reduce the frequency.

I've also heard that coenzyme q10 and magnesium can be effective in reducing duration and frequency though i got pregnant (first of 3) just as I intended to try it out.

likewise, acupuncture and cranial osteopathy (I never tried either but have heard good reports)

finally, getting older helped (now late 30s).

good luck!

paap1975 Wed 17-May-17 10:55:16

The neurologist I saw with a friend prescribed her diclofenac as soon as she had any signs, followed by Sumatriptan if it hadn't gone in 20 mins. It has never failed to work for her

Maudlinmaud Wed 17-May-17 11:02:12

You poor thing. I was prescribed propranolol and it worked for a time. Usually I take migraleve now at the first sign of an attack and find it shifts them. I also have naproxen which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Can you see where I'm going here. I have tried many a thing grin I do know what my triggers are and avoid them like the plague. I lie down in a darkened room and I like those migraine patches you stick on the forehead, find that quite soothing, but I have been known to pace up and down when the pain is horrid.

Spam88 Wed 17-May-17 11:28:25

Oh you must be exhausted 😟

I was taking daily beta blockers for a few years which really reduced the frequency and duration of my migraines. They did make me try triptans first but they did nothing for me.

OregonShales Wed 17-May-17 11:31:55

My migraines with aura were actually caused by the combined pill, I never had them before I started taking it, then obviously had to switch to the mini pill due to the them as it's a risk factor for combined pill use, and haven't had one since! I'm not the first person I've heard this happen too either. Everyone's triggers are different, it sucks before you find out what it is though.

I really hope you feel better soon!

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 17-May-17 12:13:24

Not pregnant, no. Also not on the pill - not been allowed to take that for years!

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 17-May-17 12:16:55

Have bought magnesium. Not tried diclifenac. Aspirin has been known to work a treat but took some the other day and gave me bad tummy ache. Have got osteopath booked for next Tuesday. Usually a bit cynical about these things but will try anything. Seem to get a lot of tightness and muscle spasms in my neck on the same side of the headache. Currently going to bed for 1/2 hour after having had some rizatriptan, paracetamol and domperidone so we'll see how that pans out...

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 17-May-17 12:21:34

Over the years I have tried sumatriptan, amitryptiljne, lamotrigine and propranolol. Amitryptiline and propranolol made me feel rotten and didn't work. Lamotrigine was the only one that seemed to reduce them a bit and I could tolerate, but I was still getting more than 2/week so my neurologist switched me to propranolol. Had to stop taking it due to side effects and then moved out of area before going back, and they went anyway. This was about a decade ago though

Maudlinmaud Wed 17-May-17 12:23:03

Yes the combined contraceptive pill is bad news for migraine sufferers. I think it can put you at risk of stroke etc. Progestogen only is a safer alternative I believe. Funny enough my migraines disappeared during pregnancy but came back with a vengeance after.

Maudlinmaud Wed 17-May-17 12:25:58

Let me know how you fair with the magnesium please.

CiderwithBuda Wed 17-May-17 12:37:06

The only time I got a spate of daily ones I went to chiropractor and he sorted it.

DS is 15 and had couple of batches of daily migraines last May/June. They stopped of their own accord - a few days into school holidays.

He started daily ones again last November and hasn't been at school since. Currently taking his GCSEs at home.

We did seem to break the cycle at one point with taking
Sumatriptan with coke. The sugar and caffeine is supposed to help. He did it twice and that batch stopped.

Started again the day school went back in Jan. He swore it wasn't stress or anything school related. Had chiropractic and osteopathic treatment. Is on max dose of topirimate.

About 10 weeks ago he started acupuncture and that seems to be helping. Some weeks are better than others.

He then got himself into a bit of a panic about school and exams and asked to see a psychologist. He has had three sessions and seems better in himself.

So you have my sympathies. It's bloody horrible to get them daily. And trying to figure out triggers is not easy!

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 17-May-17 13:56:54

I am currently ttc so hopefully pregnancy may sort it. Can't remember getting too many last pregnancy. 😊

glambreakfast Wed 17-May-17 14:01:04

Magnesium and Q10 took me from 3 per month to 0. I haven't had one for 8 months now. I will never be without them again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now