Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry socket pain and infection- am I being a wuss?

(12 Posts)
lanouvelleheloise Wed 17-May-17 08:24:35

Had wisdom tooth extracted this time last week. Extraction was slightly complicated by the fact the tooth wasn't fully through. Usual post-extraction pain, took ibuprofen for it. Cleaned my mouth and did mouthwash religiously.

On Friday evening, I started to feel unwell all over. The tooth pain was worse and I had this strange, metallic taste in my mouth. By Saturday morning, I felt awful and fluey, and the taste was honestly like something had died in my mouth. Rang emergency dental services, who told me I had to drive 30 mins to a neighbouring town to be seen, which I did (nb I live in a massive city, not the sticks, but this is the coverage at weekends). Diagnosed with dry socket which had become infected. Prescribed amoxicillin, 500mg every 8 hours.

Now on my last day of the pills and I think it's getting worse again. The pain is sharper and the metallic taste is back and I am starting to feel weak again. I have taken every dose exactly to time, I have cleaned and cleaned my teeth and used mouthwash. I don't smoke, and I've avoided drinking and eating anything crunchy.

Am I being a wuss to ring a dentist this morning? I still have a day's worth of antibiotics to complete, but they don't seem to be working. A complicating factor is that DH flies to China today for a week, so I will be dealing with anything on my own from here out. I won't be able to drive myself 30 mins in the car!!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 17-May-17 10:00:10

Definitely get an appointment today.

MissBax Wed 17-May-17 13:48:09

Oh god I had this in September last year and I fully empathise. It was THE WORST THING!! Regular salt rinses and antibiotics. Hope it clears up soon! ❤

TwatteryFlowers Wed 17-May-17 13:55:45

No you're not being a wuss. I had dry socket and omg the pain was horrendous. I had to use all my 30mg codeine tablets that I had left over from my c section and still had to ask for more. Luckily, once the infection cleared (I think it took a few days) the pain started to subside.

Hope you manage to get seen and that you're feeling better soon.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Wed 17-May-17 15:08:02

No, you're not a wuss. I was a dental nurse and I've seen people ready to chop their heads off after having a dry socket. They are easily sorted out by your dentist.

oigetoffmycheese Wed 17-May-17 16:00:22

I've had 3 children and for various reasons had next to no pain relief.

None of the births were as bad as dry socket. I wanted to rip my own head off the pain was so bad.

Get an appointment, get seen, get drugs.

I really feel for you.

Good luck.

lanouvelleheloise Wed 17-May-17 20:34:24

Thank you all for the advice and moral support!

I did get seen - tooth has now been packed (what a relief!). The dentist also took out a stitch that was really irritating me (the thread on it was so long I kept swallowing it - felt like a hair stuck in my throat). For the first time in a week, I think I might be able to get a few hours of sleep tonight.

However, I'm unclear about what I do with the packing. Does it just remove itself, or do I need to take it out after a certain point? I totally didn't ask - at the time I was too dazed and confused to string words together.

TwatteryFlowers Wed 17-May-17 21:49:54

That horrible tasting spongy stuff? Leave it in and leave it alone. It'll fall out by itself after a while (I think it took a few weeks iirc).
Glad you got seen and that you're on the mend. Dry socket pain is awful flowers

B19M Wed 17-May-17 21:54:06

Leave it alone-it resorts by itself.

Tomorrow morning start your warm salty mouth rinses again-(just gently)-and continue this for another week. Remember to do this after eating.

lanouvelleheloise Thu 18-May-17 14:34:02

OK, so while trying to syringe the hole (as instructed) I've managed to syringe out the packing. And am now in pain again.

It's over a week since I had the tooth extracted. I'm tired and depressed. I know it's irrational, but I feel like I'll never be pain-free again.

Those who had teeth packed - how often did you have to go back to have them redone? Should I just go in again? I am tempted to see if I can do something homemade with clove oil and a cut-up tampon, because I can't reach the damn hospital (no-one is picking up the phone) and I feel like I'm being a nuisance.

DrMadelineMaxwell Thu 18-May-17 19:24:29

Go back. I'm sure I've read on here about people having their dry socket packed more than once.

P1nkP0ppy Thu 18-May-17 19:31:30

Go back op.
I couldn't believe how ill I felt and how painful dry socket was. I had mine redressed every other day for 10 days plus three lots of antibiotics before it cleared.
Utterly miserable and so, so painful (probably the worst pain I've ever had)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now