Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsilitis

(19 Posts)
frogsgoladidahdidah Wed 17-May-17 03:19:07

I have been in bed since Sunday now, (bar a trip to A&E last night as my temperature hit 39.7 and IT HURTS!!! Am trying to be brave and not wake anyone else up but the pain is horrendous and now in my ears as well?

Am normally a very hardy lass so I have taken aback by this.
Handholding please.

Rainatnight Wed 17-May-17 04:02:39

Poor you. I had it recently (though not so badly) and I was taken aback by how much it hurt.

Are you on antibiotics now?

And more immediately, have you taken all the painkillers you can?

frogsgoladidahdidah Wed 17-May-17 05:01:36

Yes, I was given antibiotics on Monday night so completed my first day yesterday. Did you have them? How long did they take to kick in and how long until it was all over for you? They gave me ten days worth of medication and a sick note for a week.

ibuiltahomeforyou Wed 17-May-17 07:21:54

I totally feel for you, tonsillitis is the worst thing I have ever had, including mastitis and having my wisdom teeth out!

Gargle dispersible aspirin and have lots of cool drinks. And keep your pain relief topped up flowersflowersflowers

Haggisfish Wed 17-May-17 07:23:06

It was horrendous. Couldn't easily swallow spit. Codeine and ibuprofen helped a little.

Mooey89 Wed 17-May-17 07:25:01

Ah you poor thing. I get this 3-4 times per year. It's hell.

Ice lollies are your friend, the blander the better. Also I use strefen - lozenges that have an anti inflammatory in them. Take ibuprofen alongside paracetamol if you can - the ibuprofen bringsvthe swelling down.

Gargle with mouthwash as much as you can.

Get better soon x

Rainatnight Wed 17-May-17 09:15:58

I think my antibiotics were for a week.

frogsgoladidahdidah Wed 17-May-17 11:56:04

Mooey 3-4 times a year? Oh my goodness!!!!

Thank you ladies. It's nice to know I am. It just being a wimp. I can't bear to eat anything... but am trying to drink fluids.

MissBax Wed 17-May-17 13:45:04

Mooey if thats true you are eligible for tonsillectomy (unless of course there's a contraindication for surgery).

NoMudNoLotus2 Wed 17-May-17 13:58:56

I really feel for you - had a 5 year phase of getting Quincy 4/5 times a year! They wouldn't remove my tonsils as I hadn't had it 6 times a year hmm

It's the most awful, painful thing so I hope you get better soon. flowers

MissBax Wed 17-May-17 14:09:28

NoMud - I'd go back to your GP with demands if it recurs further. NHS guidelines state that to be eligible you must have had -
- seven or more well-documented, clinically significant, adequately treated sore throats in the preceding year or
- five or more such episodes in each of the preceding two years or
- three or more such episodes in each of the preceding three years

If you've had 4/5 times for the last 5 years then you certainly qualify.

NoMudNoLotus2 Wed 17-May-17 16:50:34

Thank Missbax, I haven't had an episode of it for a few years now. From 2009 to 2013/14 I had it so much then one day it just stopped. It was very bizarre how it just stopped! Now if I get a sore throat I feel the anxiety that it's going to turn into Quincy but luckily it just fizzles out to nothing.

MissBax Wed 17-May-17 18:44:46

NoMud urgh I can totally imagine! It just annoys me when GPs palm people off. Glad to hear you're not suffering with them anymore (touch wood)! ☺

Mooey89 Thu 18-May-17 06:54:09

missbax I've asked and begged but my GP says 7 times in one year or 5 in two years or 3 in three years AND sleep apnoea

The worst thing is that I have private insurance but unless GP agrees I have a clinical need, I can't get it! I have Just got over my 2nd lot this year, they last refused me last year... I'm going to go back.

Mooey89 Thu 18-May-17 06:54:22

OP are you feeling better?

Holland00 Thu 18-May-17 06:58:09

I feel for you, I was ill on a monthly basis with tonsilitis as a child.

My son has just recovered from an awful bout, he was very nearly hospitalised.
He's kindly passed the infection to me, which has left me with a horrible chest infection, combined with asthma left me on a nebulizer yesterday.

So we can be poorly together🌝

frogsgoladidahdidah Thu 18-May-17 20:24:00

Thanks for asking Mooey, the pain is getting smaller (if that makes sense) but I still cannot bear to eat anything so am still living on iced water.

DH had to go back to work today so friends helped me with school runs. And tomorrow my mum is coming to stay for a week (I am an expat) as DH has to go away, which is a great relief.

It is just so frustrating that I just seem to be recovering so much slower than I expected.

frogsgoladidahdidah Thu 18-May-17 20:25:03

Oh, poor Holland!!!!! That sounds rough!!!!

DH just came back with Ben and Jerrys in an attempt to get me to eat.
Would you like cookie dough or strawberry shortcake?

Holland00 Thu 18-May-17 23:47:22

Cookie doughgrin

How are you feeling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now