Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is this painless lump on my vulva?!

(16 Posts)
AGnu Tue 16-May-17 01:26:26

Just went to the loo & when I wiped there was a bit of blood on the tissue. Being 13 weeks pregnant, I panicked a little until I tracked the source to what looked like a small, red, sort of spherical, fleshy blob nestled amongst my pubic hair. It's surprisingly big for something I had no idea was there! I'm not one for much personal examination so I suppose it could've been there a while. It's not at all painful & doesn't look like an infection. I'm applying a warm compress now just in case it's hiding a load of pus... It doesn't look like a spot though - it's more spherical & is only attached by a small bit rather than being a lump under the skin.

What could it be that doesn't include the word "cancer"...?! I'm supposed to be going away in 2 days - this really is the last thing I need!

barrygetamoveonplease Tue 16-May-17 03:36:06

Could it be a skin tag? 'Attached by a tiny bit' would be the clue.

AGnu Tue 16-May-17 10:11:28

It's much bigger than any skin tag I've seen before but a quick Google says they can be big. I've learnt a new word - pedunculated - it's definitely pedunculated. It's dark red though - aren't skin tags usually skin colour?! I've not got to go out anywhere today so I'm just wearing my nighty to avoid rubbing it. No chance of getting seen at the GP before I go so I'll have to hang on until I get back & hope it's nothing that'll escalate quickly while abroad!

Funnyface1 Tue 16-May-17 14:17:37

You can get varicose veins in that area when pregnant. Could you Google that and see if there's any similarity?

purplecollar Tue 16-May-17 14:22:34

I've had Bartholin cysts before. If it's one of these they "erupt" after a few days, usually in warm water in the bath.

LuluJakey1 Tue 16-May-17 20:46:25

I once had something that sounds identical. Panicked, went to STD clinic who removed it there and then and said it was a skin tage caused by 'the 'trauma of knicker elastic'. Never came back.

AGnu Tue 16-May-17 22:48:52

How did they remove it Lulu? It keeps bleeding every time I knock it. I'm dreading having to put underwear on tomorrow! I'm seriously tempted to sterilise some scissors & just get rid of it... The bleeding can't be that bad, can it?!

LuluJakey1 Wed 17-May-17 06:26:31

Well I couldn't see becuase I was lying dowb but I think I remember a small shot of local anaesthetic and it was snipped off and cauterised. He knew immediately what it was just looking at it. No stitches- the 'stalk' bit wasn't big enough to need them.

AGnu Wed 17-May-17 08:19:12

Right, waiting for a callback from my GP. I'm not overly hopeful they'll see me though - usually they seem to reserve on-the-day appts for children/older people. According to their website the nearest walk-in centre won't see me because I'm pregnant but if the GP can't fit me in I might call them & beg. Failing that I guess I could rock up at minor injuries but that's part of the A&E which seems somewhat extreme! I just want someone somewhere to lop it off so it doesn't keep bleeding & get infected!

WinchestersInATardis Wed 17-May-17 08:25:09

I second the possibility of a Bartholin cyst. I get them every now and then - painless lump and tends to burst/go away on it's own. They are bleurgh though.

AGnu Wed 17-May-17 09:23:21

Definitely not a BC - it's nowhere near my vagina.

Just spoke to the GP & she's going to see me to just confirm it's not likely to be cancerous but either way they're not likely to do anything about it until after I get back. If it is just a skin tag they won't touch it until after I've given birth & even then only if it's been infected numerous times!

I've not stopped crying/hyperventilating since I got off the phone. My anxiety can't take this! I'm swinging between just sending DH away on holiday with the DC & cutting it off myself & claiming it got caught on something!

sadie9 Wed 17-May-17 10:12:23

So the GP will see you today? If so, great as it will put your mind at rest and you can enjoy the holiday.
If the GP won't see you before you go, then do go to the minor injuries clinic or some other walk in clinic, because you anxiety about it is actually putting you more at risk than the skin thing itself...

AGnu Wed 17-May-17 10:38:45

It was more the phone call that set my anxiety off. DH usually calls people for me & had requested that they call the landline so he could answer & I could have a second to prepare before I had to talk to her. That message didn't get through so she called my mobile & sent my anxiety through the roof!

Anyway, she poked it, agreed that it's almost certainly just a skin tag & prescribed me some cream to stop it getting infected & we agreed to talk again when I'm back about possible options... She also mentioned that if one were to tightly tie a piece of cotton around it it would probably fall off quite quickly...

The best thing about the appointment though was that I came out with a referral for an ASD assessment that I've been wanting for years! Previous GP went on about the long waiting lists & how I'd have to come back another time to explain everything to them before they'd refer me - that made me anxious so I didn't go back. This GP insisted on doing it then & there despite mentioning that she's really busy today. I think I love her a little bit! grin

Aquamarine1029 Wed 17-May-17 20:51:13

You really need to calm down. These cysts are VERY common and I had one myself. I went to the doctor and she said not to worry and just let it drain. It is NOT CANCER. They happen randomly for no reason whatsoever. Some women get them frequently. I had mine 17 years ago and have never had another. Take a deep breath. You are perfectly fine.

LuluJakey1 Wed 17-May-17 22:02:51

I would get your thread out OP. I took one off my arm at the weekend by tying a piece of thread tightly round it. Can't even see where it was. No bleeding.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Wed 17-May-17 22:06:43

When I was pregnant I got loads of skin tags everywhere. Another pregnancy side effect. Hope you are feeling better now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now