Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena- what symptoms do you get?

(23 Posts)
jeffy29 Mon 15-May-17 22:02:04

So I had the Mirena put in 4 years ago and am due to have it out next year. Now I am wondering if the way I have been feeling is down to the mirena (when spoke with GP she said my symptoms were in no way related, i beg to differ though, but hey ho, I'm not a dr!). So what symptoms do you guys have if any that you believe to be down to Mirena....curious to see if I am alone with some of them.

smu06set Mon 15-May-17 22:03:03

Literally none! Lighter periods, thats pretty much it.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 15-May-17 22:04:13

No periods, it's ace smile

Spoog1971xx Mon 15-May-17 22:06:49

Depression and anxiety

DooWhop Mon 15-May-17 22:07:10

I've had two and thought I had none with the bonus of no periods. But I had it out 6 months ago and realise it made me depressed, gain it not be able to lose weight and killed my libido! I'm struggling with very irregular periods now (??perimenopause) but I'll never have another mirena!

PaperdollCartoon Mon 15-May-17 22:07:30

None I can think of

jeffy29 Mon 15-May-17 22:07:33

well, there is that perk smile i have been exhausted, bad pms (but no period to show for it), bad skin, weight gain. Weighing up the options for when i need to have it replaced/try something new.

RandomMess Mon 15-May-17 22:07:39

Itchy!!! Turned out it was the threads irritating me.

I put on weight as I was hungry like you get in early pregnancy.

All stopped when I had it taken out after 18 months (I still bleed every month, still got agonisingly sore boobs)

DramaAlpaca Mon 15-May-17 22:07:59

The only symptom I get is no periods. I've had no problems with it at all.

jeffy29 Mon 15-May-17 22:08:17

lack of libido is also a pain in the arse!

Brandnewstart Mon 15-May-17 22:09:34

Breakthrough bleeding and constant thrush!! My sister loves her though.

wheresthel1ght Mon 15-May-17 22:10:19

Just had mine out after years of issues

Bleeding every 2-3 weeks
So heavy I could saturate towels in an hour
Crippling stomach pains
Massive weight gain and unable to lose
mood swings
Aggravated my deoression
Insomnia
Hair thining
Bleeding gums

Most have eased significantly since removal although for the first 8 days I bled horrifically and suffered massive clots the size of my hand.

jeffy29 Mon 15-May-17 22:11:57

RandomMess- eurgh! the hunger is real! honestly i am so hungry and exhausted at points I wonder if i could be pregnant. I had two of my kids with religious use of contraception so it isn't an impossible thing.

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 15-May-17 22:13:41

You try telling a gynaecologist that Mirena gives you symptoms. According to mine it has s impossible as the amount of hormone released is too tiny to have a systematic effect. I just know I felt moody (in a PMS way), depressed and had awful skin when I had it in. After a year of almost constant bleeding - albeit very light - I gave up and had it removed.

Teardropexplodes Mon 15-May-17 22:16:07

Interesting. I'm booked in to get one due to problems with the pill. I'm sensitive to oestrogen so mid cycle and pre period I have complete meltdowns.
Really hoping that by going progesterone only I fare better.
Anyone switched from combined pill to mirena and improved?

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 15-May-17 22:18:29

I do believe it's very individual- and why wouldn't it be, when you consider the diverse range of experiences women have of periods, pregnancy, menopause etc?

Kornerkutta Mon 15-May-17 22:21:39

No periods. That's it. Love it!

jeffy29 Mon 15-May-17 22:21:44

True indeed SlightlyPert. Never put that sensible perspective on it. I suppose I have managed to not get pregnant on this form of birth control, which for me, was mighty handy. So it really is swings and roundabouts. Plus, once its in, no need to think about it for years. Overall I suppose for me it has been a good experience in the long run with little niggles along the way.

Kornerkutta Mon 15-May-17 22:21:57

No periods. That's it. Love it!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 15-May-17 22:22:21

teardrop I used the combined pill for 10 years, then after kids was older than optimum so tried the mini pill (disaster due to being rubbish at remembering in time) so went for a mirena 7 years ago, now on my second. I personally would pick it every time, so definitely worth a try in my opinion.

Tequilamockingbirdturd Mon 15-May-17 22:25:19

It's hard to say what's causing what...I've got an underactive thyroid (affects hormones & metabolism) and came off tablets in Feb due to side effects of headaches and very stiff muscles, my doc Said my periods stopped due to the marina coil, I'm going to have the coil removed just to remove anything that could confuse symptoms whilst trying to sort out my thyroid issues. I have very low mood and some anxiety and just waiting for test results for menopause. I did have a slight period when I came off my medication which made me think the docs original thought was wrong about the coil. It's alll very confusing about what's causing what, once I've had the coil removed I will post back to this thread if I notice any changes. I regret having the coil now tbh it's been great to avoid pregnancy but it's artificial and it's hormonal and confuses/results in misdiagnosis of other stuff like menopause. It suits some people thou.

dodgydonkeysdoodah Mon 15-May-17 22:27:40

I had constant light bleeding for the first six months and was all set to get it taken out when suddenly it stopped and I haven't had a period since (five years ago this summer).
I suffered a lot of joint pain and abdominal twinges in the early months but that also subsided over time.
I have become MUCH hairier particularly arms, back and chin) but perhaps that's also my age (mid forties).
Then, a few months ago, a week or two after my smear test, I noticed that the strings had disappeared and had to have all sorts of investigations as to where it had gone. A gynae consultant eventually managed to remove it in theatre with the help of a camera - not a pleasant experience.
However all this is outweighed by the convenience of no periods, especially as mine were so heavy as to make me anaemic. After they found and removed the first one, they put a second one in but cut the strings a bit longer this time.

Tequilamockingbirdturd Mon 15-May-17 22:32:50

Seeing a lot of threads about exhaustion and weight gain along with skin and hair problems, although these symptoms could account to many things it might be worth having bloods tests at doctors to rule out thyroid issues, look online at symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now