Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it the lurgy?

(5 Posts)
CalculatorBoobs Mon 15-May-17 19:39:22

I need a bit of advice as my surgery has changed it's rules and now you have to ring, tell the receptionist what's wrong, doctor then rings to see if you need an appointment. I don't want to look stupid so can anyone help with what this might be?!

Ok. Towards the end of last year I went to South America (not sure if that's relevant) and when I came home my throat got so sore I couldn't swallow, blisters appeared on my tongue and I got these cold sore like lumps on my lips that scabbed over and turned black. My glands all swelled up too. GP said it was a viral infection and sent me home. Since then these lumps have appeared from time to time on my lips (can I just add I've never had a cold sore in my life) but they come and go in the space of a couple of days and haven't gone black. Anyway, yesterday I woke up with nothing on my lips, by lunchtime 3 lumps had appeared on the corner of my lips, like spots, then by evening time they were big cold sore like lumps again. This morning they were all scabby and still are but now the gland under my chin on that side is tender and swollen.

Has anyone any ideas what this can be? As I said I've never had a cold sore in my life so I'm unsure if it's that, can you just suddenly get them? And do they disappear that quickly and give you swollen glands? I'm wondering if I picked up something in South America or if it could be something else.

Sorry for the long post!

CalculatorBoobs Tue 16-May-17 17:52:10

A pic of the lurgy in case it helps!

Hidillyhoneighborinos Tue 16-May-17 18:38:52

Looks and sounds like cold sores. Do you get a tingle in the beginning? Maybe try some Zovirax cream to see if it helps next time. And yes, i also get the sore swollen glands under my jaw, i find sun, being a bit tired and stressed can set them off but the Zovirax does help a lot

Badders123 Tue 16-May-17 18:39:35

That looks like impetigo to me

CalculatorBoobs Tue 16-May-17 19:32:21

Oh. Well I stopped at the chemist on the way home and she said she wasn't sure if it was a cold sore and gave me sudocrem. I currently look like I've been eating a Tunnock's Teacake.

I'm not sure about the tingling, the chemist asked the same thing. At the moment it's sort of stinging and my chin keeps quivering!

Thanks for the replies, if this doesn't work I'll try zovirax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now