Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Exhaustion with periods

(14 Posts)
JontyDoggle37 Mon 15-May-17 19:33:45

I will go to GP (not using the internet for sole diagnosis!) but interested in other people's experiences and what might have worked for them.
Every period I have at least one day where I'm so exhausted I can barely stay awake, my whole body feels heavy and hard to move, it's even hard to speak by the end of the day. And now this month, its been nearly three days of it. It's really affecting me - I have a very full on a job plus a 2 year old and pets. DH is very supportive and helps loads but it doesn't stop me feeling like death warmed up. Does anyone else get this and if so, what did you find is the cause and does anything help reduce the feeling? If I don't reply back to any comments tonight, it's probably because I'm going to bed in about fifteen minutes because I can't stay awake 🙄

juneybean Mon 15-May-17 19:35:43

Could be anaemia? Is the blood loss heavy?

Mine was particularly heavy this month and I've really felt it.

JontyDoggle37 Mon 15-May-17 19:50:04

juneybean blood loss is heavyish but not ridiculous, and quite often the exhaustion can be the day before the period actually starts. I had a recent blood test for something else and they said no anaemia....

TresDesolee Mon 15-May-17 19:54:12

I have pretty heavy periods and four or five days before they start i basically turn into a dormouse. I know it sounds obvious OP but are you getting enough sleep? I need 7-8 hours minimum during those few days. Would quite happily have a nap too if I could...

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Mon 15-May-17 19:55:23

Iron tablets may help

TresDesolee Mon 15-May-17 19:58:20

Also, if it's possible with your job, talk to HR about possibly working from home for those days. I work from home a lot and it's so much easier on premenstrual days and the first day of the period, when I tend to feel like a very tired dead person. Play up the medical aspect - maybe see if your GP would back you up. Especially if you have a long commute that adds to the length of your day.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 15-May-17 19:58:38

I've got like this in the last few years. I feel exhausted a day or two before it hits so I know it's coming. I'm generally lethargic for the first couple of days of it too. I'm early 40's if that's any relevance.

MrsDoylesTeabags Mon 15-May-17 20:17:33

Sounds like anaemia, see your Dr about getting a blood test. Iron tablet will resolve it easily, you shouldn't have to suffer.

Zorkit Mon 15-May-17 21:12:58

I feel exactly the same! There's nothing worse than dragging yourself through the day, particularly when you have a lot to achieve. I don't believe it's related to anaemia but something hormonal.

muckypup73 Mon 15-May-17 21:16:45

I feel like that all the time these days, but I have been plauged with heavy ones for years x

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 15-May-17 21:20:20

Maybe try a fairly robust dose of Feroglobin Plus (I double the dose a couple of days before and first couple of days and take the regular dose the rest of the time) and see if it helps?

JontyDoggle37 Mon 15-May-17 21:22:53

Lowdoor that's interesting I wondered if doing something specific around the affected dates would help.
I've actually got another blood test on Friday, I think it includes anaemia again, so hopefully I might get some answer from that.

Feyenoord Mon 15-May-17 21:25:09

Oh yes. I'm exhausted the first day. If it starts on a day off I will sleep loads. 14 hours at a stretch not being an exception! And I wake up exhausted. Thankfully it is just the one day.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 15-May-17 21:54:10

I also take naproxen (feminax ultra) and a DIM supplement before and during.

Seems to just about keep it at bay, otherwise these days I can be totally debilitated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now