Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

V severe period pain,external ultrasound clear

(5 Posts)
caremummy Mon 15-May-17 18:14:35

I got referred for an ultrasound which found nothing. I know I'll get a text from the GP with 'no further action required'. I have severe period pain which has worsened over the years and mefenamic acid barely touches. I have a recurrent tugging sensation in my lower right abdomen.Exhaustion, nausea, headaches. Only diagnosis hypothyroidism and vit D deficiency (3 years ago). The pain is to the level of almost going to a+e. I'm absolutely sick of it. Any idea's?x (def not pregnant)

noimnottryingforagirl Mon 15-May-17 18:24:52

I went through similar scan showed nothing but still struggled and pushed gp and eventually saw gynaecologist. She scanned and found pelvic congestion ( varicose veins on ovaries) and adenomyosis. She says it would take specialist to see - initial scan just excluded anything iffy and obvious eg cancer . My advice is don't put with pain keep going back to gp.

Asmoto Mon 15-May-17 18:25:19

flowers Sorry you are in pain. I had severe pain as a result of endometriosis - I also had fibroids - are those things your doctor has looked at? If you have only had an external scan, is it worth asking for a trans-vaginal ultrasound - that might pick up more information.

Whatever you do, don't let yourself be fobbed off - keep going back until you receive a diagnosis and a treatment plan. You shouldn't have to put up with pain of that severity.

marabounuts Mon 15-May-17 20:43:19

endometriosis? it doesn't show up in scans unless you have endometriosis cysts. It is diagnosed (and removed if possible) via laparoscopy. you need to by seen by a gyn.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-May-17 07:20:29

I would change GP practice if they continue to be unhelpful. You need a referral to a gynaecologist for further evaluation. Not all GPs are up to speed at all when it comes to endometriosis because they do not recognise it either.

Do not put up with this and do not be further fobbed off. You need a diagnosis and an up to date one at that. Any tests done over 6 months ago should be discounted.

Do keep a daily pain (note pain on a scale from 1-10) and symptom diary if you do not already do this.

Endometriosis is a common cause of ongoing severe period pain. Its not detected on ultrasound scans and even on internal scans either. It is usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: